Company: John Hancock
Posted on: February 16, 2020
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and
succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a
flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers
achieve their dreams and aspirations.
The accountant's responsibilities pertain to the accounting,
financial reporting, and analysis on multiple bases of reporting
(NAIC, IFRS and USGAAP). Responsibilities primarily consist of
collaborating with various business contacts to analyze/understand
consolidated results and stand-alone results for various
subsidiaries, preparing financial statements and materials for
board meetings, and performing accounting (e.g. journal entries,
reconciliations, equity pick-ups, etc.) for various companies. In
addition, the role will participate in year-end financial statement
audits and financial control procedures.
- Performing accounting activities such as creating standard and
non-standard journal entries, reconciling complex general ledger
accounts, and preparing state filings, footnotes, and financial
- Analyzing financial results, detecting aberrations and
providing commentary with respect to specific areas of focus.
- Works on semi-structured assignments based on existing
practices and within guidelines.
- Proposes and implements data management efficiencies.
- Shares best practices with other team members and makes
recommendations for process improvements.
- Assists directors, managers and other team members on various
projects and analyses.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance or equivalent work
- 4 or more years of experience required
- Public Accounting background preferred
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Detail-oriented, well-organized, and excellent analytical
- Self-starter and team player with a high level of initiative,
strong work ethic and the ability to gather, synthesize, organize
and report information.
- Ability to multi-task and manage priorities in a demanding and
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office applications.
- A working knowledge of accounting rules, regulatory rules
and/or business processes as it pertains to the accountant's sphere
of responsibility (e.g., a set of regulatory filings or account
- Demonstrates emerging to solid proficiency in own discipline;
still acquiring higher-level knowledge and skills and emerging
ability to draft managerial reporting narratives.
- Prioritizing and reprioritizing work deliverables and projects
for internal clients based on changing business needs (deadlines,
costs, scope of projects).
- Decisions at this position are made using judgment based on
skills and knowledge already developed.
JOHN HANCOCK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - AA/F/M/D/V
If you are ready to unleash your potential, it's time to start your
career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial
services group that helps people make their decisions easier and
lives better. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United
States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice,
insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for
individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2018, we had
more than 34,000 employees, over 82,000 agents, and thousands of
distribution partners, serving almost 28 million customers. As of
June 30, 2019, we had over $1.1 trillion (US$877 billion) in assets
under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months
we made $29.4 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal
operations in Asia, Canada and the United States are where we have
served customers for more than 100 years. With our global
headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto,
New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in
Manulife is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to attract,
develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers
we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces
the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair
recruitment, retention and advancement and we administer all of our
practices and programs based on qualification and performance and
without discrimination on any protected ground. It is our priority
to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human
Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to
participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request any
accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation
needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
Keywords: John Hancock, Boston , Senior Accountant, Accounting, Auditing , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!