Teacher - Foreign Language [Spanish), Gr. 7-12 (SY23-24)
Company: Boston Public Schools
Posted on: March 20, 2023
***This school has been designated as a Level 4 school by the
State of Massachusetts. This designation allows districts to
utilize the new tools granted in the landmark education reform law
that was passed in 2010 to provide additional services for these
schools. Some of these tools will allow for extended time and extra
compensation where needed.
Reports To: Principal/Head of Schools
Teach: Foreign Language
Core Competencies: Using the Rubric of Effective Teaching, the
Office of Human Capital has identified priority skills and
abilities that all BPS teachers should possess:
- Accountability for Student Achievement(II-A-1. Quality of
Effort and Work, II-D-2. High Expectations, I-B-2. Adjustments to
- Sets ambitious learning goals for all students, creates
cognitively demanding tasks, and models the belief that all
students can master challenging material through effective
- Assesses students' understanding regularly with ambitious
learning goals in mind and takes ownership of making necessary
adjustments to instruction to reach goals despite setbacks
- Passionate and optimistic about their students, their content,
and the teaching profession
- Communicating Content Knowledge(I-A-1. Subject Matter
Knowledge, I-A-4. Well-Structured Lessons)
- Demonstrates mastery of and enthusiasm for the content area and
the pedagogy it requires
- Demonstrates understanding of how the subject matter applies in
real-world settings and connects to other content areas and
- Can convey content in creative and engaging ways that align to
- Equitable & Effective Instruction(II-A-3. Meeting Diverse
Needs, II-A-2. Student Engagement, II-B-1. Safe Learning
- Scaffolds and differentiates instruction in order for all
students to do complex thinking and rigorous academic work
- Uses instructional practices that are likely to challenge,
motivate, and engage all students and facilitate equitable, active
- Builds a productive learning environment where every student
participates and is valued as part of the class community
- Cultural Proficiency(II-C-1. Respects Differences, II-C-2.
Maintains a Respectful Environment)
- Actively creates and maintains an environment in which
students' diverse backgrounds, identities, strengths, and
challenges are respected
- Parent/Family Engagement(III-A-1. Parent/Family Engagement)
- Engages with families and builds collaborative, respectful
relationships with them in service of student learning
- Professional Reflection & Collaboration(IV-A-1. Reflective
Practice, IV-C-1. Professional Collaboration)
- Regularly reflects on practice, seeks and responds to feedback,
and demonstrates self-awareness and commitment to continuous
learning and development
- Seeks to participate in and contribute to a collaborative adult
learning community.Qualifications - Required
- Education: Hold a bachelor's degree.
- Hold the appropriate valid Massachusetts Teaching License in
the required foreign language at the appropriate grade level.
- Meet all state and federal guidelines in order to be fully
licensed and Highly Qualified according to NCLB.
- Ability to meet the Standards of Effective Teaching established
by the Boston Public Schools as outlined above.
- Current authorization to work in the United States - Candidates
must have such authorization by their first day of
employment.Qualifications - Preferred
- Experience teaching in urban schools.
- BPS values linguistic diversity and believes that candidates
who speak another language bring added value to the classroom,
school, and district culture and diversity. BPS is particularly
interested in candidates who are fluent in one of BPS' official
languages: Spanish, Creole (Cape Verdean), Creole (Haitian),
Chinese, Vietnamese, Portuguese, & Somali.
- In order to best serve all students, BPS prefers all core
content teachers to be certified in their subject area and one or
both of the following: Moderate Disabilities, English as a Second
Language (at the appropriate grade level(s)).Terms: BTU, Group
Please refer to www.bostonpublicschools.org/ohc (under "Employee
Benefits and Policies") for more information on salary and
compensation. Salaries are listed by Unions and Grade/Step.
The start and end times of BPS schools vary, as do the lengths of
the school day. Some BPS schools have a longer school day through
the "Schedule A" Expanded Learning Time (ELT) agreement.
The Boston Public Schools, in accordance with its nondiscrimination
policies, does not discriminate in its programs, facilities, or
employment or educational opportunities on the basis of race,
color, age, criminal record (inquiries only), disability,
homelessness, sex/gender, gender identity, religion, national
origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, genetics or military status,
and does not tolerate any form of retaliation, or bias-based
intimidation, threat or harassment that demeans individuals'
dignity or interferes with their ability to learn or work.
Keywords: Boston Public Schools, Boston , Teacher - Foreign Language [Spanish), Gr. 7-12 (SY23-24), Education / Teaching , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...