Clinical Instructor, RN - Medical Surgical ICU
Company: Tufts Medical Center
Posted on: March 20, 2023
To protect patients, physicians, staff, visitors, and the
community from the COVID-19 infection,vaccination for COVID-19 is
mandatory for employment unless an exemption is grantedfor medical
or religious reasons. Clinical Instructor, RN - Medical Surgical
ICUJob ID: REF8112GDate posted: 12/9/2022
- Employment Type: Full Time
- Shift: RotatingThis role is responsible for assisting the
Clinical Nursing Director and the Professional Development
Director, in conjunction with the needs of the staff nurse, in the
planning and delivery of direct patient care for an assigned unit/
group, utilizing the nursing process and adhering to the standards
of nursing practice. Assists the Clinical Nursing Director and the
Professional Development Director in translating the philosophy,
objectives, policies, and procedures of the hospital and nursing
service into effective action. The Clinical Instructor role is
positioned to be accessible to the nurse in direct care.Under the
direction of the Professional Development Director, the Clinical
Instructor is responsible for upholding and driving the standard of
practice within their respective units/practice areas as set by
national and professional organizations, and the most current
evidence guided practice. The Clinical Instructor is ensures that
competencies for all staff are validated within their defined
practice areas.The overall goal of the Clinical Instructor role is
the acquisition of knowledge, skills, and attitudes that translate
into practice and contribute to the safety of patients/families and
provision of quality care. In addition to acquisition of knowledge,
skills and attitude, specialty excellence includes the evaluation
and measurement of current clinical knowledge, proficiency of
technical skills, application of critical thinking and performance
by members of the nursing team. The Clinical Instructor leads the
implementation and interpretation of these measures and methods and
identifies areas for practice improvement within defined area of
clinical practice.Responsibilities:Clinical Practice:
- Demonstrates clinical expertise, integrating nursing theory and
practice. Employs evidence-based practice in decision-making and
- Utilizes the nursing process for the delivery and management of
patient's -care across the continuum of care appropriate to the
developmental age of the patient population.
- Collaborates with members of the health care team related to
patient plan of care.
- Mentors the nursing staff.
- Develops and monitors systems that support advancement in
- Interacts with staff nurses for the purpose of assessing the
care provided and the nurses' capabilities to provide care in
- To provide and facilitate peer feedback in order to advance
nurses, Clinical Care Technicians (CCTs) and Unit Coordinators
(UCs) knowledge, skill and practice
- To ensure evidence-based standards of care are being practiced
- Serves as a resource for patients, family members and nursing
staff as issues arise regarding the patient's -hospitalization or
- Utilizes the performance improvement process to assess the
response to nursing care from patients, families and others.
- Uses clinical skills to provide ongoing assessment and
evaluation of nursing care.
- Coordinates and directs patient care to ensure patients' -needs
are met and hospital policy is followed.
- Maintains open communication with managers whose departments
provide support services to the clinical area in order to ensure
the appropriate level of service at all times.
- Evaluates and communicates to CND & PDM Manager changing needs
of the unit, including staffing requirements.
- Demonstrates the ability to be flexible, organized and function
well under stressful situations.
- Collaborates with other members of the unit management team in
developing practice guidelines, competencies and unit specific
- Staff Development under the direction of the Professional
- Plans orientation program for employees based on current
clinical practice standards and nursing research.
- Coordinates, facilitates, conducts, and evaluates orientation
programs and innovative learning approaches for staff utilizing
principles of adult learning theory.
- Implements all aspects of orientation program including
teaching formal didactic classes as part of monthly orientation on
new employees, affiliating faculty and students.
- Accountable for competence achievement of staff through
planning, collaboration, coaching and mentoring.
- Validates staff competency through various learning
- Is available for real time/ bedside demonstration and fostering
- Conducts/facilitates learning/training workshops for all levels
of care providers.
- Communicates and consistently supports the philosophy and goals
of the unit, department and hospital.
- Supports the development of staff to serve as preceptor for new
- Assists in the development and implementation plan of
performance improvement activities.
- Provides advisement for data collection methods for quality
- Delegates appropriately to others in accordance with job
description and competency level.
- Supports the ongoing development of staff through coaching,
mentoring and role modeling.
- Collaborates with other members of leadership team in providing
appropriate educational opportunities for licensed and unlicensed
- Professional Development:
- Identifies through needs assessment, continuing education
opportunities that augment knowledge, skills, and attitudes of all
- Guides and mentors staff in career development, role
transition, and succession planning.
- Participates in and provides leadership to departmental and
hospital committees as requested.
- Assists in the development of practice initiatives through
unit-based group activities.
- Enhances own professional growth and development through
participation in educational programs, keeping current with
literature, inservice meetings, and workshops.
- Networks with peers and Director of Professional Development
and Quality for role development
- Networks with other hospitals, tertiary, and quaternary systems
within specialty organizations
- Identifies own learning needs and goals and designs a plan to
- Outcomes Management:
- In collaboration with the interdisciplinary team:
- Ensures excellence in outcomes for all quality, safety, patient
experience metrics and regulatory requirements
- Participates in the identification of patient safety issues and
highlights these to the Professional Development Director and
Clinical Nursing Director.
- Seeks out opportunities to enhance patient outcomes in concert
with the goals of the department and Medical Center.Job
- Bachelor's -Degree in Nursing required and Master's -degree or
relevant level of clinical expertise in a health related field
- Current MA Registered Nurse license required.
- BLS and specialty certification required.
- 3 years of demonstrated clinical expertise in relevant
specialty area of nursing practice.
- Excels at demonstrating the knowledge and skills necessary to
provide care to patients in the relevant area of nursing
practice.Additional Information:All your information will be kept
confidential according to EEO guidelines.AMERICANS WITH
DISABILITIES STATEMENT:Must be able to perform all essential
functions of this position with reasonable accommodation if
disabled.The above statements are intended to describe the general
nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to
be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties
and skills required of personnel so classified. Tufts Medical
Center reserves the right to modify position duties at any time, to
reflect process improvements and business necessity.COVID-19
POLICY:Please note that effective October 1, 2021, as a condition
of employment at Tufts Medical Center, all employees and new hires
must have received their complete dose of the COVID-19 vaccine,
unless they have been granted an exemption.
Keywords: Tufts Medical Center, Boston , Clinical Instructor, RN - Medical Surgical ICU, Education / Teaching , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...