Assoc Dir, Computational Biology Engineering
Company: Disability Solutions
Posted on: November 20, 2023
About the Job
The Associate Director, Computational Biology Engineering will play
a pivotal role in leading the design, development, and
implementation of bioinformatics software solutions at Foundation
Medicine. This individual will manage a team of software engineers
focused on the bioinformatics systems in our medical devices and
work closely with others to deliver high-quality, efficient, and
scalable software solutions that empower clinical decisions from
This role acts as a bridge between the worlds of software
engineering and science, where guarantees about process execution
meet the challenges of complex biology. Within a group responsible
both for computational product development and automated production
processing, the successful candidate will focus on improving the
analysis capabilities, sustainability, efficiency, and versatility
of current and new products.
- Leadership and Team Management:
- Lead and mentor a team of software engineers.
- Provide technical guidance and support to the team members,
fostering their professional growth.
- Define project goals, assign tasks, and ensure timely delivery
of software projects in alignment with company objectives.
- Bioinformatics Software Development:
- Work with bioinformatics scientists, data analysts, and domain
experts to build systems that are robust at scale.
- Oversee the entire software development lifecycle from
conceptualization to deployment.
- Bring software engineering principles and solutions to complex
- Establish and provide value cross-functionally through
comprehensive testing processes to maintain software integrity and
- Collaboration and Communication:
- Collaborate closely with scientists and software engineers
within the Computational Biology group, as well as members of
Clinical Bioinformatics Operations, Biopharma, Medical Reporting,
Regulatory, and Quality teams.
- Clearly communicate technical concepts, project updates, and
progress to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Technical Excellence:
- Ensure adherence to best practices, coding standards, and
software development methodologies.
- Stay abreast of the latest advancements in bioinformatics,
software engineering, and relevant technologies to recommend
improvements and innovations.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field, or 4+
years of additional software engineering experience in lieu of a
- 8+ years of professional programming experience.
- 4+ years of management experience.
- Master's degree in computer science or bioinformatics.
- Demonstrated mastery of designing, building, and integrating
software systems and components.
- Bioinformatics experience, especially next gen sequencing
- Proficiency in Python.
- Experience working with compute clusters and distributed
- Experience working with cloud providers (AWS
- Experience maintaining or operating commercially available
- Experience with formal quality procedures, including SDLC or
design controls, applicable in safety-critical industries like
medical devices or aerospace.
Keywords: Disability Solutions, Boston , Assoc Dir, Computational Biology Engineering, Engineering , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!