Senior Director, National Accounts
Company: Albireo Pharma, Inc.
Posted on: September 25, 2022
Albireo Pharma is a rare disease company focused on the
development of novel bile acid modulators to treat rare pediatric
and adult liver diseases. Albireo's lead product, BylvayTM
(odevixibat), was approved by the U.S. FDA as the first drug for
the treatment of pruritus in all types of progressive familial
intrahepatic cholestasis (PFIC), and it is also being developed to
treat other rare pediatric cholestatic liver diseases with Phase 3
trials in Alagille syndrome and biliary atresia, as well as an
Open-label Extension (OLE) study for PFIC. In Europe, Bylvay has
been approved for the treatment of PFIC and has been submitted for
pricing and reimbursement approval. The Company is progressing a
Phase 1 clinical trial for A3907 to advance development in adult
cholestatic liver disease, with IND-enabling studies moving ahead
with A2342 for viral and cholestatic liver disease. Albireo was
spun out from AstraZeneca in 2008 and is headquartered in Boston,
Massachusetts, with its key operating subsidiary in Gothenburg,
Sweden. The Boston Business Journal named Albireo one of the 2019
and 2020 Best Places to Work in Massachusetts. For more information
on Albireo, please visit www.albireopharma.com. Position Summary:
The Senior Director, National Accounts is responsible for the
design and implementation of the Managed Markets strategy,
including potential contracting opportunities that would position
Albireo current and future products in a favorable access position,
maximizing profitability for the organization while preserving
gross-to-net. This role is intricately involved and placed in a
position to influence the decision-making process at all
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works closely with direct reports on account management and
analysis to attain key objectives for the current and future
- Collaborates with the President, US on the implementation of
short- and long-term business initiatives to ensure appropriate
coverage, coding, and reimbursement within the specific managed
- Hires, trains, and develops National Accounts team with
responsibility for key targeted national and regional commercial
payers, including State Medicaid within assigned geographies.
- Builds, sustains, and continuously improves the organization's
perception in the payer environment by delivering compelling
presentations about Albireo, our work in rare, ultra-orphan
- Develops strong account relationships at all levels, including
C-Suite executives, for the purpose of gaining appropriate access
and maximizing sales of Albireo' current and future product
- Develops and implements the department's strategic imperatives,
brand planning and pull through, case management and cross
functional collaboration that supports organizational goals through
defined tactics and objectives to move payer decisions in a
direction that continues to open access for the appropriate
- Demonstrated knowledge of payer decision making for policy,
coverage, coding, and patient access to existing and future Albireo
- Oversee Specialty Pharmacy relationships and manage
- Expert level understanding of reimbursement process,
specifically Specialty Pharmacy within assigned geography and
targeted payer responsibilities.
- Supports direct reports with expert level efficiency and ensure
optimal pull through effectiveness for all patient support and
access programs including HUB, distribution, co-pay support, PAP,
and other access program offerings.
- Collaborates with Medical in the development, training,
coordination and delivery of clinical presentations and value
propositions with the goal of appropriate access within national
and regional plans.
- Advocacy development with KOLs, families, and advocacy groups
at the local, regional, and national levels to lobby for
appropriate access and remove unreasonable barriers to
- Removes access barriers and makes appropriate recommendations
to senior leadership team to maximize revenue and
- Assesses competitive market landscape and opportunities for
improved or expanded market penetration and adoption.
- Compliantly leads case-management responsibilities with a high
level of communication and coordination with all relevant
field-based personnel that directly impacts patients gaining access
- Instills a culture of ethics and integrity and set up a system
that ensures compliance with all applicable policies and
regulations for the company and the department.
- Estimates resourcing needs for the function and operate within
- Maintains industry awareness regarding market trends,
competition, product acceptance, and new product releases.
- Other related duties as assigned. Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Science, Business, Marketing or a related
- 10 years' pharmaceutical industry experience in sales,
management, marketing, managed care or other relevant commercial
- Proven track record of success in building and leading high
performing account management teams.
- Managed Care experience required with strong National and
Regional Account Management within both commercial (private) and
government (public) payer systems.
- Experience working in the Rare or Orphan space is
- Reimbursement, Specialty Pharmacy and coding experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to influence through the articulation of complex
medical, managed care and financial concepts to various
- Strong work ethic and the ability to foster a culture of
collaboration, continuous improvement and operational
- Proven and experienced leader with extensive strategic,
tactical planning, execution and negotiation skills.
- Strategic thinker who can connect the dots across functions and
find practical solutions. Executive presence; able to effectively
represent the Company internally and externally. Entrepreneurial,
decisive, and have the tenacity to "make things happen."
- A penchant for the science; ability to translate complex
science into impactful messaging.
- A genuine care for patients and a desire to make a meaningful
difference in their lives.
- Critical skill set to successfully collaborate across all
relevant business units within the organization to establish
strategies and plans aligned with the managed care execution of the
overall corporate strategy.
- Project management skills (leading without authority), with the
ability to handle multiple tasks, assignments, and business
- Strong cross-functional leadership and collaboration with both
internal and external stakeholders is essential in this role.
- This position is field-based and travel is estimated to be up
to 75% within the continental US.
- The level of this position will be based on the final
candidate's qualifications. PI191293455
Keywords: Albireo Pharma, Inc., Boston , Senior Director, National Accounts, Executive , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!