Assistant Director, Digital Marketing and Communications
Company: Northeastern University
Posted on: September 25, 2022
About the OpportunityNortheastern's Advancement Division seeks
an Assistant Director of Digital Marketing and Communications.
Currently operating under a hybrid model, half in office and half
remote, this position requires a savvy employer of electronic
media, who can both plan strategy around websites, emails, and
social media channels, and harness each distribution platform to
convey university and fundraising messaging. This mid-level
professional has experience creating websites in Word Press; a
track record of crafting, designing, and delivering effective email
newsletters and other messaging in Constant Contact/Salesforce
Marketing Cloud; and knowledge of best practices for social media
platforms such as Instagram and Facebook.The Assistant Director is
an essential Advancement Communications team member who will play
an integral role in Northeastern's next major fundraising campaign.
This person will develop and deploy communications strategies
working with the Executive Director of Communications and the team
of the Senior Vice President of Advancement. They will utilize all
the output of the Communications Team-our writing, video, website
creation, and design-to interact with donors, get them engaged with
the university, and inspire them to give to the campaign. The
Assistant Director will help influence and guide others' thinking
about digital engagement strategies for the campaign.The Assistant
Director is fluent in developing and adapting messaging depending
on audience and communications platform. They are a gifted
collaborator and a diplomatic, service-oriented problem-solver who
enjoys seeking out new ways to enhance content and engage donors
and prospects. They are well-versed in the digital space and keep
up with the latest trends in social media and other ways people
connect online. The Assistant Director also writes some direct mail
appeals and helps oversee the work of the Communications Associate,
who does appeal writing for the Annual Giving
- Bachelor's degree or higher.
- Three to five (3-5) years of professional experience in
nonprofit writing/communications, marketing, or a related
- A good understanding of email engagement and expertise in
designing and deploying Constant Contact and Salesforce Marketing
- Decent knowledge of WordPress to create vibrant,
interest-piquing websites that encourage interaction.
- In-depth comprehension of driving long-term engagement on
social media platforms, particularly Instagram, LinkedIn, and
- A strong desire to continue to build knowledge in the
fast-moving digital marketing field, continuously seeking new
platforms and methods of engagement.
- Excellent editing, proofreading, and writing skills.
- Expertise in crafting persuasive, donor-centric appeals and
other communications pieces.
- The ability to work quickly and effectively within a valued,
fast-paced communications operation of writers, designers, and
video producers utilizing a full range of print, multimedia, and
online communications tools to meet strategic goals.
- Good interpersonal skills and the capacity to collaborate
effectively with colleagues throughout the division with diplomacy
- Strong knowledge of English grammar, punctuation, and matters
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Familiarity with Canva a plus.KEY RESPONSIBILITIESDigital
Marketing Strategy and Execution
- Set the strategy for content and messaging through websites,
emails, newsletters, and social media.
- Act as go-to person for Women Who Empower communications,
including the Women's Entrepreneurship Initiative and the Women Who
- Come up with innovative platforms and engagement strategies to
draw in audience, including exclusive events, contests, polls, and
challenges to build following, interest, and loyalty. Constantly
and collaboratively refine these plans to ensure optimal outcomes,
working closely with the Office of the SVP and Communications
- Utilize knowledge, make recommendations, and offer ideas that
will shape and execute a digital communications strategy to draw in
donors and engage them with our next major fundraising campaign and
the university.Writing and Editing for the SVP
- -Work closely with the SVP of Advancement's team to ensure
successful engagement strategies.
- Assist with drafting and reviewing correspondence to internal
and external audiences on behalf of the SVP and occasionally the
President and Board Chair, as well as drafting talking points for
board meetings and major events.
- Edit and proofread team members' content.Annual Giving Appeal
- Develop original, compelling content for a variety of
electronic and print-based fundraising appeals that convey
university messaging and inspire philanthropic support of students,
faculty, and programs.
- Help hone the appeal writing of the Communications
Associate.Position TypeMarketing and CommunicationsAdditional
InformationNortheastern University is an equal opportunity
employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse
community of faculty and staff. - Northeastern values and
celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an
inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group
relations and builds cohesion. -All qualified applicants are
encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex,
sexual orientation, disability status, or any other -characteristic
protected by applicable law.To learn more about Northeastern
University's commitment and support of diversity and inclusion,
please see .
Keywords: Northeastern University, Boston , Assistant Director, Digital Marketing and Communications, Executive , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!