Vice President of Medical Affairs Americas
Company: Sirtex Medical Limited
Posted on: September 25, 2022
Vice President of Medical Affairs AmericasRegion: Americas
Location: Remote or in Corp HQ in Woburn, MAPosted Date:
09/14/2022Who We AreSirtex Medical is a global healthcare business
with offices in Boston, Sydney, Germany, and Singapore, working to
improve outcomes in people with cancer. Our current lead product is
a targeted radiation therapy for liver cancer called SIR-Spheres -
Y-90 resin microspheres. More than 100,000 doses have been supplied
to treat patients with liver cancer at more than 1,300 medical
centers in over 50 countries. We're a fast growing; dynamic
organization and we seek an experienced Vice President of Medical
Affairs-Americas to help us with our growth. In this role, work
location can be remote to our Corporate Headquarters in Woburn, MA
or in HQ.What You'll DoThe Vice President of Medical Affairs
Americas (US, LATAM and Canada) will fulfill an important strategic
leadership role reporting into the CMO. He/ she has high visibility
in the organization, participating with senior management in
developing strategic objectives and implementing functional Medical
Affairs plans for assets with the benefit of the patient at the
forefront.You'll lead key Medical Affairs projects that require
breadth of experience and strong business acumen. He/she brings
innovation and critical thinking to planning Medical Affairs
related processes, determines organizational structures, influences
or directs cross-functional teams (including medical, scientific &
commercial directors, biostatistics, clinical operations, safety,
regulatory, marketing planning, business development and corporate
communications) and assures optimal partnership for products
developed in an alliance setting.The VP plays a critical role in
establishing/maintaining professional relationships with key
medical experts in the field of Interventional Radiology and
Oncology. The VP ensures that all activities, internal and external
adhere to rigorous corporate standards and government/industry
regulations & compliance standards. The main responsibilities:
- Direct, develop and enhance one or more critical functions
within the medical affairs department.
- Ensure that strategic long term and execution of Americas and
Global Medical Affairs plans are appropriately aligned with
- Plan strategically and executes, through line management where
in place, appropriate medical support for product(s) and candidates
which includes, but is not limited to the following
- Development and oversight of implementation of Americas and
globally focused medical strategy and tactics, including internal/
external disease area/ product training, annual medical planning,
scientific communications, and collaborations with experts.
- Application of therapeutic/disease area expertise and
addressing current and future medical needs in clinical practice to
inform medically appropriate use of investigational therapies.
- Provide strategic leadership and providing therapeutic area and
medical affairs expertise for assets in development phases and
- Oversight and hands on support in management, generation and
dissemination of clinical and non-clinical data that supports the
medical strategy and results in high quality publications.
- Leadership to ensure an aligned and effective collaboration
between internal business partners including the Clinical Affairs
and Commercial teams.
- Stand or ad-hoc membership for various cross-functional and
cross-alliance teams; providing medical perspectives to the global
and Americas strategic and medical organizations.
- Work closely with clinical sciences colleagues to optimize the
development of post-marketing and registrational trials.
- Oversee design, approval process, conduct, analysis and
reporting of Medical Affairs studies. Provides oversight to ensure
timely submission and delivery of high-quality clinical trial
documentation, implementation, and execution. This will include
Interventional and Non-interventional Trials/Studies, traditional
and real-world evidence, company-sponsored studies
- Development and cultivation of long-term strategic partnerships
with clinical experts, societies, collaborative groups, advocacy
groups, and other external stakeholders representing Sirtex.
- Champion of high standards of compliance, ethics and patient
safety, putting patients at the center of all actions.
- Stay abreast of current developments within pertinent medical
and scientific therapeutic area through familiarity with current
literature, attendance at medical society meetings, professional
associations and other.
- Accountability for creating and managing resources within
annual Medical Affairs budget, and expenses.
- Perform oversight of medical monitoring of post-registrational
trails and is the final signatory of documents related to
interpretation of patient level data where necessary, if in
possession of a medical degreeManagerial responsibility and related
- Directs, through line and matrix management, multiple functions
and therapeutic areas within Medical Affairs.
- Determines organizational structures and operational direction
for one or more critical functions within medical affairs.
- Is accountable for the overall organizational morale, team
effectiveness and talent management
- Leads by example and is viewed across the organization as a
- Serves as principal spokesperson for the Medical Affairs
function on highly significant matters
- Interacts internally and externally with senior management and/
or functional heads requiring negotiation of difficult
- Takes on a positive leaderships role when there is ambiguity
and little or no direction.
- Provides guidance and fosters professional development and
growth of direct reports.
- Plays a key role in corporate development of methods,
techniques and evaluation criteria for projects, programs and
- Speaks as principal spokesperson for the function or
organization on significant matters.
- Works in a goal/objective-oriented manner within formalized
process to plan and execute annual goals in alignment with the
corporate annual goals and core business strategy.
- Demonstrates excellent people management skills, as well as
collaborative efforts with relevant stakeholders within and outside
Sirtex.Who You'll BeBecause our patients deserve the highest
caliber of people who work at Sirtex, we seek someone with:
- Advanced degree (MD, PhD or PharmD), MD (Radiology, IR,
Oncology, or Immunology) preferred however not mandatory
- 14+ years total experience post (medical) degree, with at least
ten years progressive experience in Pharmaceutical or Biotech
Industry working in Medical Affairs and/or Clinical Research &
Development or related fields.
- Industry experience in planning, executing and reporting
clinical trials with post-marketing experience required.
- Prior experience working in a matrix organization as well as
cross-functional collaboration with Clinical Development, and
Commercial/Marketing departments strongly desired.
- Prior experience with working in an alliance setting strongly
- Experience working with field-based colleagues/MSLs
- Americas and global experience, including launch experience
- Experience working collaboratively and coordinating with
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal, verbal and written
communication skills. Ability to form strong and constructive
internal as well as external professional relationships.
- Demonstrates a strong ability and desire to collaborate with
the commercial/marketing organization in an appropriate manner to
ensure commercial strategy, plan and execution incorporate medical
input and direction. Ensure that all medical affairs activities in
support of the product adhere to all relevant industry
- Ability to lead business and technical discussions internally
and externally and explain scientific/medical concepts to all
- Strong leadership and management skills.
- Strong presentation and communication skills; must be able to
provide succinct, strategic, and actionable insights to senior
- Thorough understanding of the healthcare environment including
all external stakeholders.
- The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following
competencies:-Ability to work effectively in a fast paced, rapidly
changing and expanding environment and juggle multiple
projects.-Outstanding work ethic and integrity, including high
ethical and scientific standards-Strong interpersonal skills
particularly motivational, negotiation, listening, judgment,
analytic, and conflict management skills, demonstrated by ability
to lead teams.-Deals with scientific concepts and complexity with
confidence.-Ability to engage in collaborative decision making to
complete tasks in a timely fashion, and function in a rapid-paced
environment. Must be a practical thinker, able to identify simple,
realizable solutions.-Makes the best decision possible based on a
mixture of data analysis, wisdom, experience and judgement.-Creates
a climate in which people want to do their best and can motivate
many kinds of direct reports and team or project members.-Can deal
comfortably with senior management.-Knows how to get things done
both through formal channels and the informal network and can
inspire and motivate teams across the organization-Sense of Humor:
We take our patients and science seriously, just not ourselves.What
to expect from SirtexIf you have the right skills and experience
and want to work for a company making a real difference to the
quality of people's lives, Sirtex will offer the right candidate:
- Diverse and flexible employment and working arrangements to
achieve the optimum balance between work and personal
responsibilities and objectives.
- A working culture of respect, diversity, and performance to
help facilitate an inclusive culture.
- Attractive compensation and benefit packages which are
practical, robust, fair, and equitable.
- A place to grow through career development and training
opportunities.Conditions of Employment
- Sirtex Medical has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy
effective November 1, 2021, requiring the COVID 19 vaccination for
all employees. In accordance with Sirtex's duty to provide and
maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, we are adopting
this policy to safeguard the health of our employees and their
families, and the community at large from infectious diseases that
may be reduced by vaccinations.
- Individuals seeking an exemption from this requirement for
medical or religious reasons should complete a request for
accommodation form and submit the form to the human resources
- Sirtex is committed to equal employment opportunity and
non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants
without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion,
national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic
information, sexual orientation, or any characteristic protected
under applicable law. Sirtex will make reasonable accommodations
for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance
with applicable law.Diversity drives innovation; inclusion fosters
belonging, growth and success. Sirtex believes that it takes
multiple perspectives and voices to create a culture and workplace
which fosters engagement, teamwork, and employee satisfaction to
perform our best and deliver on commitments. We are dedicated to
fostering an environment where all employees feel valued, included,
and can share their ideas so that we can exceed even our own
Keywords: Sirtex Medical Limited, Boston , Vice President of Medical Affairs Americas, Executive , Woburn, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!