Director of Research Nursing
Company: Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
Posted on: January 17, 2020
The Nurse Director provides leadership in the design,
implementation and evaluation of clinical oncology research and
services. Responsibilities include coordination and supervision of
assigned research nursing staff as they provide care to individuals
receiving research therapy for oncologic and hematologic problems.
The Nurse Director provides clinical research management and
promotes professional growth for self and staff. The Nurse Director
demonstrates systems thinking, response to diversity,
collaboration, clinical judgment, clinical inquiry, facilitation of
learning and advocacy for patients and staff. Director acts as the
clinical research expert, specific duties and responsibilities may
vary across the different programs and areas. The Nurse Director
uses theoretical, evidence-based, and experiential knowledge to
advance clinical research practice. Serves as a mentor for clinical
research staff within Nursing and Patient Care Services to nurture
leadership potential and to promote professional development of
others. The Mission, Vision and Core values of the Dana-Farber
Cancer Institute are incorporated into all areas of practices.
Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber
Cancer Institute brings together world renowned clinicians,
innovative researchers and dedicated professionals, allies in the
common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases.
Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a
genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and
comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research
that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow's
physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our
community; and we work with amazing partners, including other
Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
* Licensed as a Registered Nurse in the Commonwealth of
* Baccalaureate degree required; Baccalaureate degree in nursing
* Master s degree preferred.
* Certification in Oncology Nursing, OCN, ACON, or CPON strongly
* Minimum of 3-5 years oncology experience required, leadership or
charge nurse experience preferred.
* Experience as a clinical research nurse preferred.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Collaboration: Has direct involvement in research patient care, and
practice issues, involves/recruits diverse resources when
appropriate to optimize patient outcome. Recognizes the limits to
clinical judgment and seeks multidisciplinary collaboration and
consultation with dynamic situations.
* With the Associate Chief Nurse, maintains administrative and
clinical research continuity within ambulatory services.
* Participates as an active member or substitute member for
committees within the Department of Nursing and Patient Care
Services requested by the Associate Chief Nurse.
* In collaboration with Clinical Specialist assures research staff
compliance with required competencies and annual requirements,
ensures compliance with regulatory agency requirements.
* Demonstrates knowledge of computer systems in use at the
* Provides input into the annual budgetary process.
* Participates in the Nursing Leadership on-call schedule
Systems Thinking: Develops, integrates and applies a variety of
strategies that are driven by needs and strengths of the
patient/family unit, disease center, and institutional. Negotiates
and navigates systems for both clients and employees. Demonstrates
leadership by monitoring research patient flow, research staff
allocation, and assessing system issues.
* Provides oversight of clinical research staffing in collaboration
with disease center leaders and research leadership.
* Supports s research patient care activities as needed.
* Supports and provides patient and family education.
* Responsible for patient flow, and coordination of care with the
assistance of the triage nurse.
* Collaborates with Clinical Nurse Managers to ensure compliance
with unit policies and procedures.
* Assesses and intervenes to meet the needs of the research patient
* Monitors the environment of care with attention to research
Personnel Management (Advocacy): Supports care of patient, family
and community by carefully attention to include the DFCI mission in
all decision making, and reflect mutually and competent
* Supervises RN s.
* Oversees the hiring, orientation, evaluation, coaching and
mentoring of staff in accordance with Human Resource policies and
the MNA collective barging agreement. In collaboration with
Clinical Specialists, provides clinical research based
* Promotes and encourages professional growth and leadership
potential of staff.
Clinical Inquiry: Improves or individualizes standards and
guidelines for person or population, with attention to current
practice, review of literature, research, and education, with
acquired knowledge and skills needed to address questions arising
in practice and improve patient care.
* Assists with development, implementation and monitoring of unit
based quality improvement, safety and patient satisfaction
activities that are consistent with the goals of the Department of
Nursing and Patient Care Services
* Facilitates continuous quality improvement in processes and
services as directed.
Clinical Judgment: Synthesizes and interprets multiple, sometimes
conflicting sources of data, can make judgment based on immediate
understanding of situation, patient experience.
* Serves as clinical research expert.
* Coordinates and participates in unit based audits and monitoring
of nursing quality indicators.
* Participates in the development of professional nursing practice
* Maintains practice that is evidence-based and consistent with
nursing policies, procedures, and standards.
* Fosters a systematic awareness of the diversity that exists
within the organization including but not limited to culture,
ethnicity, gender, and age, and promotes an environment that is
sensitive to the diverse patient populations.
* Complies with the accepted standards of professional nursing and
research practice, as well as with all licensure/registration
requirements applicable to the nursing role.
Facilitator of Learning: Seeks opportunities to teach, coach, and
mentor, and to be taught, coached and mentored. Adapts educational
objectives to both the patient population and the staff that serve
them. Creatively modifies an individual s need, to create an
environment of success.
* Participates in professional organizations and community
* Participates in continuing education and role development:
* Demonstrates an understanding of the clinical research
* Identifies personal goals in professional and educational
activities that promote self-development.
* Functions in the leadership role:
* Works collaboratively with all members of the floor leadership
* Serves as a role model for effective communication, problem
solving, and conflict resolution for members of the team.
* Supports the research and evidence- based practice activities of
Nursing and Patient Care Services.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and
affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin,
sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry,
military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as
protected by law.
Keywords: Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston , Director of Research Nursing, Healthcare , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!