Staff Nurse position in Central Screening (30 hrs/week)
Company: Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
Posted on: October 19, 2020
The staff nurse's responsibilities include assessment, planning,
implementation and evaluation of nursing care for a complex patient
population. The infusion nurse provides patient and family
education and psychosocial and emotional support. He/she is a
member of a multidisciplinary care team that requires effective
communication and collaboration with co-workers and staff at the
Institute, BWH, and other collaborating institutions and agencies.
The infusion nurse identifies his/her own professional goals and
learning needs. The role requires clinical expertise, critical
thinking, collaborative practice, excellent communication skills
and an understanding of the principles and practices of clinical
research. The Mission, Vision and Core values of the Dana-Farber
Cancer Institute are incorporated into all areas of practice.
Provide COVID-19 patient screening upon arrival of appointment.
Offer triage and over the phone support to patients as needed.
Practice within their scope, standards, policies, values, and
mission of Dana Farber Cancer Institute.
Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber
Cancer Institute brings together world renowned clinicians,
innovative researchers and dedicated professionals, allies in the
common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases.
Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a
genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and
comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research
that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow's
physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our
community; and we work with amazing partners, including other
Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
* Delivers expert, evidence-based nursing care to patients and
* Implements nursing process:
* Assesses patient and family needs.
* Analyzes assessment data to develop and support clinically
* Plans care by establishing goals with measurable outcomes.
* Implements the plan of care.
* Evaluates the patient's response to interventions.
* Documents care according to Institute and regulatory agencies'
* Administers medications, which may include chemotherapy, and
performs procedures safely and efficiently in accordance with
Institute policy. May administer blood transfusions.
* Evaluates educational and psychological needs of patient and
family, and incorporates identified needs into the plan of
* Educates patient and family regarding various aspects and
treatment modalities of disease, which may include chemotherapy and
* Recognizes and responds to emergency situations appropriately.
Maintains BLS certification.
* Identifies appropriate community resources to promote continuity
of care, and makes appropriate referrals.
* Complies with accepted standards of professional nursing
practice, as well as with all licensure/registration requirements
applicable to the nursing role.
* Establishes rapport with patients and families from a variety of
cultural, ethnic and religious backgrounds.
* Interacts with patients and families in a caring and
compassionate manner respecting the need for privacy and
* Develops approaches to problem solving which meet the individual
needs of the patients and families.
* Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide
age-specific care and support to the populations served.
* Fosters an environment that is sensitive to the needs of diverse
populations, including but not limited to culture, ethnicity,
gender, and age.
* Manages the environment of patient care.
* Monitors the environment of care with attention to patient
safety, and assures compliance with regulatory agency standards
* Complies with Institute, Nursing and Patient Care Services, and
unit policies, procedures, work rules and standards of conduct.
* Adheres to the Code of Ethics for Nurses with Interpretive
Statements (ANA, 2001) in all aspects of professional practice.
* Contributes to the formulation and achievement of goals on the
unit, within the Division of Nursing and Patient Care Services, and
* Assists in defining goals and developing systems and work
processes for the unit, the Division of Nursing and the
* Participates in unit, program-based, and divisional committees,
councils, and initiatives.
* Demonstrates flexibility in setting and changing priorities.
Accepts additional responsibilities as needed.
* Participates in QA/QI projects for the unit and the Division of
Nursing and Patient Care Services.
* Supports research activities within the unit, Division of Nursing
and Patient Care Services, and the Institute.
* Licensed as a registered Nurse in the Commonwealth of
Massachusetts is required
* Baccalaureate degree required; baccalaureate degree in nursing
* Minimum of 1 year of oncology nursing experience
* Certification in Oncology Nursing preferred - OCN, AOCN, CPON
* Demonstrated ability to work as an effective member of an
* Demonstrated skills in critical thinking, problem solving, and
ability to make independent decisions.
* Ability to function in a busy work setting with patients with
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and
affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin,
sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry,
military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as
protected by law.
Keywords: Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston , Staff Nurse position in Central Screening (30 hrs/week), Healthcare , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!