STAFF NURSE/ PER DIEM- ROTATING/ BWH ALLERGY CLINIC- CHESTNUT HILL
Company: Brigham & Women's Hospital(BWH)
Location: Chestnut Hill
Posted on: November 23, 2020
EXCELLENT CARE TO PATIENTS AND FAMILIES THE BEST STAFF IN THE
GENERAL SUMMARY/OVERVIEW STATEMENT
The RN is a professional nurse registered in Massachusetts who is
responsible and accountable for a specified group of patients in
the Allergy Department at 850 Boylston Street, Chestnut Hill.
Demonstrates initiative, knowledge and clinical skills in caring of
patients with complex needs. Demonstrates the ability to
effectively manage patients by assuming full responsibility for
assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of patient
care. The RN is directly responsible to the Medical Director and
Practice Manager. The RN is responsible for administration of
allergen immunotherapy/desensitization, allergy testing, oral
challenge techniques, mixing and dilution of allergen extracts,
patient education of allergen environmental control measures and
the use of metered dose inhalers, breath activated inhalers,
spacers, etc., performing pre and post bronchodilator spirometry.
RN is responsible for telephone call triage and contacting patients
for changes in management. This position is also responsible for
maintaining the departments perpetual inventory of samples and
dispensing such samples per the direction of the physicians.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
A. Organization of Patient Care
1. Accountable for assessing, planning, implementing and evaluation
a plan of
care for a specific patient assignment
2. Sets priorities when organizing care for patients with varying
includes primary and associate patients.
3. Continuity is maintained through clear and concise communication
(verbal and written).
B. Quality of Care
1. Documentation is clear, complete, concise and in compliance with
2. Develops a comprehensive plan of care based on data from an
initial assessment of patient and family, information from other
members of the health care team, intra-agency referral and previous
3. Plan of care includes education for the patient and family,
utilizing appropriate resources. Specifically, advising patient and
family regarding allergen environmental control measures and us of
metered dose inhalers, breath activated inhalers, breath activated
inhalers, spacers, etc. Accurately communications the physicians
instructions to the patient. Follows office protocol and physician
direction when calling prescriptions to pharmacies, as well as with
all other practice procedures.
4. Plan of care reflects discharge planning utilizing appropriate
resources and referrals including community resources. As ordered
by the physician, discharge care includes blood tests, skin tests,
pulmonary function test and reversal, EKG, immunotherapy and/or
5. Evaluates the effectiveness of the plan of care, and documents
progress in meeting stated goals. Revises plan of care as needed to
achieve desired outcomes.
6. Patricipates actively in the departmental and organization
quality management and/or quality improvement programs. Is
responjsible for maintaining work environment based on JCASHO and
DPH standards. Responsible for maintaining perpetual inventory, of
samples for the department.
7. Provides a safe environment for patients, staff, family and
8. Administers medication safely according to established policies
and procedures. Administers allergen immunotherapy/desensitization,
allergy testing, oral challenge testing. Prepares, dilutes and
mixes allergen extracts according to established policies and
procedures. Takes vital signs and performs PFTs (pulmonary function
9. Performs nursing procedures safely and efficiently.
10. Uses equipment safely and efficiently. Performs pre and post
11. Demonstrates awareness of potential/actual risks of infection
and modes of transmission. Utilizes universal precautions in
12. Accurately performs all nursing functions necessary in the
ambulatory practice including the administration of medication and
injections and other procedures that require a nursing license.
13. Triages patient telephone calls and accurately relays
information to the appropriate physician
A. Professional Nursing Behavior
1. Interacts with patients, families and colleagues in a
2. Collaborates with other discipline(s)
3. Develops, utilizes and evaluates department-specific standards
4. Participates in the department-based and organization quality
5. Participates in determining and implementing goals and
objectives for the
6. Upholds the ANA code of ethics and acts as a role model to the
other staff members.
7. Participates in determining goals and objectives in the periodic
review and evaluation.
8. Serves on the departmental and organization committees, and
disseminates information to peers.
9. Treats all patients with dignity, compassion and respect.
1. Assumes responsibility for personal and professional growth
identification of own learning needs
2. Shares knowledge and experience with colleagues.
3. Participates in departmental and organization education
4. Seeks and accepts guidance for addition learning needs.
1. Utilizes nursing research findings in clinical practice.
2. Contributes to nursing and/or medical research endeavors by
1. Utilize time and materials in an effective and economical
manner, Keep all
patient care and procedure equipment clean an in good working order
report equipment problems to supervisor.
2. Keeps inventory of necessary supplies and equipment: notifies
supervisor when items are needed.
3. Properly stocks patient care area and makes cost effective use
of supplies, equipment and other resources.
4. Keeps all patient-care areas and work areas neat and clean.
5. Accurately utilizes all equipment and supplies.
6. Provides suggestions that support the delivery of cost effective
7. Demonstrates awareness of the need to manage within established
1 Participates in the orientation of new staff members,
2. Provides input into the clinical evaluation of other staff, as
3. Assumes responsibility for the department in the absence of
4. Adheres to hospital and nursing policies and aids in their
interpretation to others.
5. Recommends change in policies and procedures through appropriate
6. Participates in the cooperative effort and peer support required
for the smooth running of the department, e.g., flexibility in
relations to patient assignment or work schedule.
7. Promotes collaborative work relationships and influences other
to work collaboratively.
Partners HealthCare is an Equal Opportunity Employer & by embracing
diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin,
sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military
service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under
Keywords: Brigham & Women's Hospital(BWH), Boston , STAFF NURSE/ PER DIEM- ROTATING/ BWH ALLERGY CLINIC- CHESTNUT HILL, Healthcare , Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!