PCA Nursing Co-op.1 / Per Diem / Flexible - BWH Hem/Onc 6B
Company: Brigham & Women's Hospital(BWH)
Posted on: November 24, 2020
Functioning under the direction of the Registered Nurse (RN) and as
a member of the unit-based patient care team, the Student Nurse
PATIENT CARE ASSISTANT (PCA) performs duties of direct and indirect
patient care. The PCA is responsible for supporting the RN with
clinical tasks, including, but not limited to glucometry, EKGs, and
vital signs. In addition, the PCA is responsible for responding to
the needs of patients and family members and takes a proactive role
in the efficient operation of the unit.
CLINICAL DUTIES-The following duties will be performed under the
general direction of a Staff Nurse.
* Assists patients with activities of daily living (ADLs),
including but not limited to: bathing, feeding, toileting,
dressing, and grooming. Will prepare/set-up patients for meals and
snacks and will assist patient during meals, when necessary.
* Anticipates the individual needs of patients regarding ADLs,
within the plan of care established by the registered nurse.
* Adapts standard ADL care to the unique needs of each patient,
within the plan of care established by the nurse.
* Maintains familiarity with expected patient outcomes of all tasks
performed, recognizes situations requiring RN notification.
* Maintains thorough understanding of activity and equipment within
working environment, including the application of precautions.
* Measures and records non-invasive vital signs and patient
* Performs EKGs in accordance with Hospital/Departmental
* Collects and records patient data, including intake/output,
glucometry, and guaic check.
* Assists patients with physical therapy (range of motion and
exercises ordered by Physical Therapy), deep breathing, coughing,
* Completes procedure setup and clean up, and assists during
* Performs simple dressing changes on patients.
* Functions as a patient observer under the direction of the
* Performs unit-specific clinical duties, including, but not
limited to, chest physical therapy, placing patients on
* Responsible for escorting patients/families upon being discharged
from unit. Ensures that patient has full instructions of home care
or needs post-discharge.
* Transports patients and/or equipment to other areas of the
hospital, when needed.
* Maintains patient rooms, including changing bed linens, etc. when
* Orders and maintains non-perishable supplies in unit nourishment
station and food cabinets.
* All other duties, as assigned.
TO QUALIFY YOU MUST HAVE:
Nursing student currently enrolled in a BSN or direct-entry Masters
program who has completed her/his fundamentals in nursing and two
Ideal candidates would have a strong interest in learning about
Oncology Care, and interest in working towards an Oncology RN 6B
position upon graduation from BSN program.
Must be in good academic standing in current program, and one
letter of reference must be from a Nursing Program Professor
Bi-lingual skills preferred.
Prior experience in a clinical setting preferred.
Knowledge of medical terminology.
May not currently hold a valid nursing license.
EPIC experience preferred.
Candidates must be able to meet scheduling requirements outlined
* Ability to complete a minimum of 250 hours within 12 months with
the expectation that 50% will be considered off-shift
* Expectation to work one winter and one summer holiday/year.
Brigham and Womens Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age,
veteran status, disability unrelated to job requirements, genetic
information, military service, or other protected status.
Brigham and Womens Hospital I CARE Standards
The I CARE Standards guide me in my interactions with patients,
family members, visitors, colleagues, and neighbors in my workplace
and surrounding community to optimize the Brigham experience and
help fulfill my role in our mission of providing seamless, high
quality patient and family centered care.
C. I WILL COMMUNICATE MY COMMITMENT TO HIGH QUALITY PERFORMANCE
A. I WILL APPEAR AND ACT AS A PROFESSIONAL
R. I WILL RESPECT ALL INDIVIDUALS
E. I WILL EXTEND MYSELF
Keywords: Brigham & Women's Hospital(BWH), Boston , PCA Nursing Co-op.1 / Per Diem / Flexible - BWH Hem/Onc 6B, Healthcare , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!