Phlebotomist II / 40 Hrs. /Nights / BWH / PATHOLOGY
Company: CTI Education Group
Posted on: February 25, 2021
Job Description - Phlebotomist II / 40 Hrs. /Nights / BWH /
PATHOLOGY (3143674) Phlebotomist II / 40 Hrs. /Nights / BWH /
PATHOLOGY - ( 3143674 ) Performs blood-drawing procedures to obtain
specimens from young adults (13 years) to geriatric (greater than
65 years) for laboratory testing. In addition, must be able to
perform blood-drawing procedures on babies (birth to early
childhood up to one year) for laboratory testing. Patient
populations for the blood drawing will include immunosuppressed,
late stage cancer, and the morbidly obese patients. Provides
phlebotomy training, product evaluation and new application
implementation upon request. PRINCIPAL DUTIES--ANDRESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Demonstrates the skills and competence for venipuncture
- Positively identifies patient according to department policies
- Confirms accuracy of electronic orders, labels and requisitions
according to department policies and procedures.
- Develops a relationship with the patient that is comforting and
demonstrates confidence for the venipuncture procedure.
- Properly instruct patients as to how to obtain urine samples
and/or 24-hour collections of urine samples and all other samples
as needed. 2. Demonstrates the skills and competence to accurately
review completed laboratory requisitions or electronic orders in
- Completes all necessary information including the legible
documentation of assigned phlebotomy code, collection date, and
other required information.
- Properly retrieves electronic orders from Sunquest, Collection
manager and Epic as necessary.
- Follows procedures for obtaining "standing order" information
according to department policy.
- Includes all requirements in formation for the Blood Bank
samples (initials, date, patient name and medical record number on
all tubes and requisitions).
- Follows department policies related to the collection of
"discharge/transfer", STAT and timed collections. 3. Demonstrates
the skill and competence necessary to perform the venipuncture and
- Selects the best vein or site available for blood drawing.
- Demonstrates skill with various types of needles and other
- Follows correct "order of draw" for vacutainer tubes.
- Follows procedures for the appropriate collection of blood
cultures to avoid contamination of specimen.
- Removes the tourniquet according to department policies and
- Labels all samples in accordance with department policies and
- Check the collection site prior to leaving the patient. 4.
Follows all Infection Control guidelines throughout the
- Wears appropriate personal protective equipment as
- Follows all patient precautions and procedures for
- Discards all equipment (sharps, glove, etc.) as required.
- Follow hospital Hand Hygiene policies and procedures between
all procedures and patients. 5. Demonstrates knowledge of
collection criteria: correct vacutainer tubes, volume, stability
requirements and/or special handling. 6. Effectively teaches and
trains all new employees, students, and other additional requests
for teaching and training. Provides constructive feedback. 7.
Assists with new product evaluations and the development of new
products upon request. Assists with the implementation of new
applications and hardware. Provides constructive feedback. 8.
Follows all instructions applicable to research protocols.
- Collaborates with principle investigator and/or supervisor to
draw appropriate tubes for tests requested and meet requirements
for timed collections. Transports specimens appropriately according
to protocols. 9. Completes phlebotomy sheets, logbooks and other
documentations as required, including required documentation during
a downtime. 10. Demonstrates professional behavior and customer
service skills at all times.
- Answers all calls/ two way phones in a professional manner.
Return the pages within the time required.
- Effectively interacts with supervisor, co-workers and clinical
staff to avoid misunderstandings and conflicts.
- Effectively interacts with patients and patient's
- Demonstrates a caring and sensitive attitude to all hospital
staff, patients and families. 11. Works collaboratively as a member
of the phlebotomy team at all times.
- Follows all policies and procedures related to attendance,
absenteeism, tardiness and scheduled breaks.
- Communicates in a professional and effective manner.
- Work as a part of the team to provide adequate phlebotomy
coverage/including offsites. 12. Maintains inventory and stocks
- Ensures adequate supplies are available for rounds/labs.
Notifies team leaders or supervisor when supply levels are
- Routinely inspects vacutainer tubes and other supplies for
expiration dates and discards as appropriate. 13. --Responsible for
pagers, two way phones and other hospital devices.
- Adheres to the pager and two way protocol and is responsible
for the communication devices.
- Adheres to the Epic and Collection Manager protocol and is
responsible for care of the scanners and printers. 14. Responsible
to work weekend and holiday hours according to the needs of the
department. 15. Responsible to be aware of Joint Commission
National Patient Safety Goals and to compile with all BWH hospital
and laboratory policies and procedures. 16. Performs all other
duties as required including:
- Performs heel sticks according to policy and procedures.
- Demonstrates knowledge for the administration of glucose
solutions for glucose tolerance testing.
- Performs EKG's according to department policies and procedures.
1. High School diploma or equivalent. 3. Two years experience as
BWH phlebotomist with performance evaluation score of effective or
above. SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED: 1. Knowledge and
practice of proper aseptic techniques necessary to prevent injury
to self and patients. 2. Knowledge to select appropriate vacutainer
tubes and volumes for test(s) requested. 3. Ability to communicate
with patients and families to alleviate fears and anxieties and
make them feel comfortable and cared for. 4. Physically be able to
stand and walk for long periods of time (90% of the day) and
transport supplies and specimens as required. 5. Ability to
communicate effectively with all phlebotomy team members,
clinicians and other hospital staff 6. Some computer skills
necessary for training on the use of E-mail and hospital
applications as required. 7. Demonstrate competencies in areas
- Venipuncture technique and all blood drawing procedures.
- Appropriate choice of vacutainer tubes and required blood
- Patient identification and specimen labeling.
- Customer service skills to include ability to communicate with
patients and staff. Brigham and Women's Hospital is an Equal
Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color,
religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran
status, or on the basis of disability.
Keywords: CTI Education Group, Boston , Phlebotomist II / 40 Hrs. /Nights / BWH / PATHOLOGY, Healthcare , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!