Nurse Practitioner (MSN
Company: CTI Education Group
Posted on: April 11, 2021
Under the supervision and direction of the Chief, Department of
Neurosurgery, Vice Chair for Clinical Affairs and the designated
supervising physician, and in accordance with the rules and
regulations of Massachusetts governing Nurse Practitioner (NP)
practice, the NP supports the outpatient Neurosurgery Trauma
Service. The NP helps obtain patient-related history and outside
documentation, assists in outpatient clinics both in person and via
virtual electronic or telephonic means, evaluates follow-up
patients, helps coordinate tests and consultations, implements
treatment plans, and assists with communicating results, plans and
other clinical information to patients, patient families, and
referring and consulting physicians, including patient and family
education. Responsibilities also include performing suture/staple
removal. Additionally, the NP helps coordinate the interface
between inpatient and outpatient care, including working with the
inpatient services to coordinate discharge and follow up plans.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Clinical Practice:
- Supports the clinical operations of the Neurosurgical Trauma
"North" Outpatient Clinic.
- Obtains health and medical history, performs physical
examination, and constructs problem list.
- Collects, records, and interprets patient data.
- Orders appropriate laboratory, radiological, and other
- Examination, pre-operative teaching, post-operative evaluation
and management, and follow-up.
- Prescribes Schedule II-VI medications in accordance with
guidelines developed with the supervising physician.
- Completes disability paperwork for patients.
- Fills out visiting nursing paperwork for patients.
- Serves as an information resource for patients.
- Communicates care plan to all referring providers, MD of
record, and patients/patient families.
- Responsible for communication and coordination with residents,
fellows, nurses, and other physicians involved with the care of
- Coordinates interface between inpatient and outpatient
- Teamwork and collaboration:
- Cross-covers for other departmental outpatient APPs during
absences and variations in workflow as needed. QUALIFICATIONS:
- Minimum of Master's Degree in Nursing and previous experience
in an academic medical environment preferred.
- Hold current certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner or
Adult Nurse Practitioner.
- Hold current valid Massachusetts nursing license.
- Hold a current valid Federal DEA certificate.
- Hold a current valid State Controlled Substance Certificate in
the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Requires independent judgment.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Broad knowledge of medical environment and academically
oriented surgical practice.
- Ability to exercise the highest degree of professional judgment
under the direction and guidance of a licensed physician.
- Qualified in all basic and advanced cardiac life support
standards as established by the American Heart Association.
- Possess the maturity, self-confidence, and ability to follow
complex patient management plans as directed by the attending
- Eligible for state and federally controlled substances
- Is knowledgeable and compliant in all hospital, State and
Federal regulatory requirements, including hospital policy and
procedures (where applicable to the performance of the job), Joint
Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO),
and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996
Work will be performed in an outpatient clinic setting. The work
may require the lifting of heavy objects and patients, as well as
exposure to potentially infective material. Work requires contact
with needles and other sharp instruments. Prolonged standing can be
expected. Walking to and from the patient care units can be
expected. Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity
Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we
choose to lead. Applications from--protected veterans and
individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.
Keywords: CTI Education Group, Boston , Nurse Practitioner (MSN, Healthcare , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!