Clinical Service Leader, RN - Plastic Surgery OR
Company: Tufts Medical Center
Posted on: January 16, 2022
Company DescriptionIt takes a lot of very smart, hard-working
and talented people to provide the level of care that we give to
our patients. Tufts Medical Center is an internationally respected
academic medical center and we pride ourselves not only on the
sophistication of the care we deliver, but the compassionate way in
which we provide it. And that starts with our employees.Job
DescriptionThe Clinical Service Leader, RN, is responsible for the
development of nursing staff within a specified area of practice
and for impacting patient outcomes through consultation on patient
care issues in addition to perioperative RN duties. The Service
Lead responsibilities encompass the following areas: clinical
practice, professional development, collaboration/consultation,
staff development, leadership and evidence based practice.PRINCIPLE
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:CLINICAL PRACTICE
- Interprets, supports, and practices the mission and philosophy
of Tufts Medical Center and the Operating Room.
- Serves as a clinical resource, consultant and role model for
nursing staff providing support in the practice of perioperative
- Provides support and expertise to the Department of Surgery in
the care and education of staff, physicians and patients within
area of specialty. Keeps preference cards updated.
- Integrates knowledge, research findings and experience to
enhance nursing practice and to promote excellence in patient care.
Validates nursing practice within specialty area by benchmarking
with Best Practices.
- Maintain flexibility and adapts to a variety of workload
- Precepts inexperienced team members, uses expert clinical
skills to provide initial and ongoing assessment and evaluation of
- Establishes and maintains effective written and verbal
communication skills. Can communicate with a wide variety of
- Able to work independently and utilize time management concepts
to maximize time efficiency.
- Develops, monitors, and evaluates QI projects on a unit and
hospital level using quality outcome indicators. Plans one QA
project per year, related to service area.
- Serves on a committee at the unit, surgical services or
- Responsible to respond to service related needs for new
products and equipment, and following established processes for
acquisition of these.
- Responsible for service related resource materials, including
preference cards and nursing help manuals.PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Maintains competency in organizational, departmental, and
outside agency safety standards relative to job requirements. Meets
all hospital/ operating room mandatory requirements.
- Develops leadership skills and promotes clinical expertise
using various methods such as networking, professional development
classes and literature review.
- Networks with management, other hospitals, physicians, peers,
and Manager of Quality Outcomes for role
- Serves as a clinical and collaborative role model.
- Collaborates and coordinates resources to facilitate patients'
plan of care; provides direct and/or indirect care to patients
including scrubbing and circulating. Reviews the OR schedule 3 days
in advance to determine resources required. Escalates
concerns/variances to nurse manager.
- Collaborates/consults with other affiliates in the value
analysis of supplies and equipment and evaluates the impact of
supply and equipment changes on the environment of care.
- Consults with other members of the unit based management team
on patient care, staff development and practice issues.
- Collaborates on an interdisciplinary basis to develop
protocols, policies and procedures and practice guidelines.
- Collaborates with nurses and other members of the health care
team related to the patient plan of care.STAFF DEVELOPMENT
- Collaborates with the management team and staff in the
development, facilitation, and evaluation of orientation framework
for the specialty area. Creates specific orientation checklist for
- With the Professional Practice Director , helps develop,
implement, and evaluate unit based / specialty based
- Assesses learning needs of staff and provides formal and
informal educational opportunities to increase knowledge and
improve clinical care.
- Trains staff (preceptor) or arranges education on new products
and/or service related equipment and monitors compliance and
- Assists in mandatory education activities. Gives at least one
service-related educational presentation per year.
- Evaluates current practice in service area using national bench
- Facilitates an empowered environment that recognizes and
responds to psychosocial, developmental, and professional practice
issues through mentoring, group support, personal consultation,
resource identification and team building.
- Demonstrates a commitment to addressing ongoing cost
effectiveness of patient care delivery, a skill set in financial
management, to include cost management for service area.EVIDENCE
- Accountable for providing clinically sound and evidence-based
information. Helps write policies based on AORN standards, Best
Practices and other outside agency requirements, such as the Joint
Commission and FDA.
- Participates in research activities.AGE SPECIFIC
COMPETENCIESIncorporates cultural and age appropriate care in all
aspects of patient care and interactions with physicians,
management, peers, and visitors in the OR, and anyone who will be
greeted as a customer of Tufts Medical Center. Has the skills and
knowledge to provide care to the age groups of the population
Knowledge of growth and development
- Ability to interpret age specific data and response to
- Provide age appropriate communicationQualificationsEDUCATION
- Graduate of recognized school of nursing; BS in nursing
- 2-3 years of Nursing experience preferred, plus
- One-year experience in clinical specialty, preferably at Tufts
- Must have current Commonwealth of Massachusetts Registered
Nurse license; BSN highly preferredPHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING
- Prolonged, extensive, or considerable standing/walking
- Lifts, positions, pushes and/or transfer patients and
- Considerable reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling,
- Frequent exposure to hazardous chemicals, sick patients, bodily
substances, noise and possible exposure to radiation, lasers,
electric shock, etc.
- Regularly exposed to the risk of bloodborne diseases and other
- Contact with patients under wide variety of circumstances
- Subject to varying and unpredictable situations
- Handle emergency and crisis situations
- Subjected to irregular hours
- May have contact with hazardous materialsAdditional
InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according
to EEO guidelines.AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES STATEMENT:Must be
able to perform all essential functions of this position with
reasonable accommodation if disabled.The above statements are
intended to describe the general nature and level of work being
performed. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive
list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of
personnel so classified. Tufts Medical Center reserves the right to
modify position duties at any time, to reflect process improvements
and business necessity.COVID-19 POLICY:Please note that effective
October 1, 2021, as a condition of employment at Tufts Medical
Center, all employees and new hires must have received their
complete dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, unless they have been
granted an exemption.
Keywords: Tufts Medical Center, Boston , Clinical Service Leader, RN - Plastic Surgery OR, Healthcare , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!