Supervisor, Microbiology - Microbiology Lab
Company: Tufts Medical Center
Posted on: June 25, 2022
Company DescriptionIt takes a lot of very smart, hard-working
and talented people to provide the level of care that we give to
our patients. Tufts Medical Center is an internationally respected
academic medical center and we pride ourselves not only on the
sophistication of the care we deliver, but the compassionate way in
which we provide it. And that starts with our employees.Job
DescriptionReporting to the Manager of Microbiology, this position
is responsible for direct supervision of the staff within the
Microbiology Section of the department. Keeps the Manager informed
of all necessary information. In collaboration with the Manager,
the Supervisor will assist in maintenance of CAP accreditation,
maintenance of the analytical systems of the laboratory, monitoring
the quality control program, inventory management, directing
subordinate personnel, inventory management. Supervisor is
responsible for scheduling, providing training in microbiology and
medical laboratory science to fellows, residents, interns, and
medical technology students.PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL
- Creates staffing schedules, work rotations, on call schedules
and holiday coverage to provide adequate 24-hour service seven days
- Ensures the validity and accuracy of test results obtained by
the laboratory personnel is checked daily. Supervises required
quality control and quality assurance programs.
- Oversees inventory maintenance, ordering, shipping and invoices
from all vendors.
- Provides direct technical assistance or support, reviewing and
performing complex or special test procedures as necessary.
Investigates complex analytical problems.
- Implements new technical programs and tests, ensuring that
laboratory staff is appropriately trained. Evaluates and revises
- Keeps current with new technology through literature review and
attendance at local and national conferences.
- Ensures compliance with mandatory continuing education
requirements and department continuing education goals.
- Provides training for residents, fellows, interns and medical
- Assists Manager with personnel interview and selection,
performance evaluation, and if necessary, discipline of
technologists and support personnel engaged in performing
- Monitors the workload vs. staffing and recommends action to
maintain productivity within acceptable limits.
- Maintains collaborative, team relationships with peers and
colleagues in order to effectively contribute to the working
group's achievement of goals, and to help foster a positive work
- Performs other similar and job-related duties as required or
QualificationsJOB KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Good working knowledge of the operation, maintenance, and
troubleshooting of the types of instruments and analytical systems,
manual and automated used in the laboratory.
- Good working knowledge of the operation of computerized data
processing and laboratory information systems.
- The ability to direct and supervise effectively a large group
of technologists and/or support personnel.
- The ability to organize and coordinate a variety of complex
tasks to achieve consistent and efficient production and delivery
of high quality laboratory work.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication
- Bachelor's Degree of Science or Medical Technology from an
accredited college or university.
- Master's Degree in Medical Technology, Microbiology, Healthcare
or Business Administration preferred.EXPERIENCE:
- Technical experience of 4 or more years working in a clinical
laboratory. At least 2 of these years must have been in a
leadership role in a hospital laboratory of similar size, range of
tests, instrumentation and workload.An equivalent combination of
education and experience, which provides proficiency in the areas
of responsibility listed above, may be substituted for the above
education and experience requirements.
ASCP or NCA certification required.WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Normal office work environment
- Typical clinical laboratory or research wet laboratory work
- Working with infectious bodily substances including blood and
employing universal precautions.
- Work requires frequent computer keying, some operation of
laboratory equipment, cleaning equipment, etc.
- In emergency situations normal work hours do not apply.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept
confidential according to EEO guidelines.AMERICANS WITH
DISABILITIES STATEMENT:Must be able to perform all essential
functions of this position with reasonable accommodation if
disabled.The above statements are intended to describe the general
nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to
be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties
and skills required of personnel so classified. Tufts Medical
Center reserves the right to modify position duties at any time, to
reflect process improvements and business necessity.COVID-19
POLICY:Please note that effective October 1, 2021, as a condition
of employment at Tufts Medical Center, all employees and new hires
must have received their complete dose of the COVID-19 vaccine,
unless they have been granted an exemption.
Keywords: Tufts Medical Center, Boston , Supervisor, Microbiology - Microbiology Lab, Healthcare , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!