Medical Lab Scientist II, Blood Bank
Company: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Posted on: August 7, 2022
Department Description: The Department of Pathology is involved
with the diagnosis of cancer and other major medical conditions
through the gross and microscopic examination of tissue samples
obtained from surgical procedures and endoscopy (Anatomic
Our department also provides clinical laboratory services to the
hospital as well as consults in the areas of clinical chemistry,
hematopathology, microbiology, and transfusion medicine (Clinical
Affiliated with Harvard Medical School, the Department of Pathology
conducts research in the further characterization of disease
processes and trains the next generation of pathologists.
JOB SPECIFIC DETAILS:
- Per Diem Basis
- Day Shift, 07:00AM - 03:30PM ESTJob Location: Boston,
MassachusettsReq ID: 44929BR
Job Summary: Performs tests, confirms accuracy of results and
reports laboratory findings to the Pathologists and other
- Prepares specimens for examination. Performs complex chemical,
biological, hematological, immunologic, microscopic, and/or
bacteriological tests according to established laboratory
procedures. Uses automated equipment and instruments capable of
performing tests simultaneously.
- Performs and documents start-up, quality control, calibration,
preventative maintenance and troubleshooting procedures on
instruments and laboratory equipment per established laboratory
protocols. Assists with inventory management to maintain adequate
supplies for patient testing.
- Performs routine testing, preparing of specimens, and
evaluation of test results. Evaluates QC and calibration results
for acceptability following established laboratory policies before
reporting patient results.
- Ensures accuracy of test results. Evaluates test results,
enters test results into the LIS and reports critical/urgent test
results to providers according to established laboratory policies.
Reviews own work to ensure that all work products are accurate,
consistent with standards, and produced in a timely manner
- Participates in mandatory and voluntary continuing education to
stay current with developments in the field of laboratory medicine.
Completes all required competency assessments including the running
and resulting of proficiency testing samples. Participates in QA/QI
- Participates in the evaluation of new methods, procedures and
instruments and in the development of technical standard operating
procedures under the direction of the laboratory leadership.
- Adheres to all established laboratory safety and infection
control policies and procedures. Follows all OSHA guidelines.
- May perform venipunctures, including blood culture collection,
and fingersticks ensuring proper ID/labeling of specimens and using
vein preservation techniques. As well as other basic duties
assigned by Manager or Team Lead.
- Answers basic client questions and inquiries. Asks for
assistance from co-workers, Team Leads, and Supervisor to ensure
client questions and inquires have been satisfactorily
- Assist in the training of staff and demonstrates ability to
juggle multiple priorities.Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Medical Laboratory, Life Sciences or
Medical Technology required.
- Certificate 1 ASCP Registered preferred., or equivalent
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based
applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may
include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by
general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation.
May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate
complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied,
requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct
observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and
procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general
guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or
unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and
effectively in written English with internal and external
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in
English to communicate effectively with medical center staff,
patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of
concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in
complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to
improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas,
identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer
service and staff training to meet customer service standards and
expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in
the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move
objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee
will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out
the hospital campus
Keywords: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston , Medical Lab Scientist II, Blood Bank, Healthcare , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!