Director of People & Culture (Human Resources
Company: City Market, Onion River Co-op
Posted on: February 25, 2021
Career Opportunities with Onion River Cooperative Director of
People & Culture (Human Resources) Founded in 1971 out of a private
home, the Onion River Co-op has grown from a small buying club into
City Market, with 2 stores in Burlington, Vermont with annual sales
of over $50 million. Flipping the industry norm, City Market is
proud that 80% of our 300+ employees are full-time,
benefits-eligible staff.-- Our Director of People & Culture
provides knowledgeable, ethical, steady guidance to continue City
Market's growth into the future as a premiere employer who makes a
difference in our community. Building on proven experience adding
value to a business through strategic guidance, cultural
development, and progressive ideas which create and reinforce a
healthy culture, our Director of People & Culture must be
exceptionally professional, ethical, and able to develop and
maintain trusting, open relationships with colleagues. Please
continue reading for a brief job description including
responsibilities and requirements. To see City Market's benefits
offerings, please visit
http://www.citymarket.coop/contact/employment We look forward to
getting to know you so please submit a cover letter in addition to
your resume.-- Director of People & Culture (Human Resources)
Department: People & Culture
Reports to: General Manager Division: Management/Executive Team
Status: Full-time Exempt
Prepared Date: December 2020 Job Summary The Director of People and
Culture (DPC) is member of the Executive Team (ET) ensuring an
inextricable link between the Co-op's strategic goals and its
people, while holding and cultivating the culture of the
organization. The position will lead the People and Culture
(P&C) team and need to possess a strong foundation of HR
knowledge and union labor relations experience to implement human
resource policies and procedures, and establish cultural objectives
to allow the Co-op to attract, hire, retain and promote the
organization as an employer of choice locally as well as with our
industry peers as a model co-operative. General Accountability The
Director of People & Culture is responsible for providing the
highest level of service possible first and foremost to our
co-workers followed by to our customers, vendors and community.
This position requires the highest standards of professionalism and
contributes towards a positive work environment with personal
conduct and excellence. Supervisory Responsibilities The Director
of People & Culture position directly oversees an Assistant
Director of People & Culture and indirectly oversees a HR Business
Partner, HR Generalist and Benefits Manager To perform this job
successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential
duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are
representative of the knowledge, skill, ability and/or attributes
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
- A trusted leader, advisor and coach broadly for all staff, but
particularly to the Executive and Senior Management Teams to
develop their leadership capability, team effectiveness, strategic
insight, and operational performance.
- Actively involved in the development of organizational
initiatives including the annual business plan, budgeting planning
process and other long-term projects.
- Experienced with labor relations to ensure compliance with the
Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), develop and maintain
productive relations with our Union Executive Board and National
Union Representatives, oversee the resolution of all grievances,
and be the lead person for the Management Negotiations team.
- Conduct prompt and thorough internal investigations and follow
through with measures in keeping with policy and applicable
- Possess an extensive foundation of HR knowledge with the
ability to leverage it for the growth of the business and our
employees. Areas include employee engagement and retention,
diversity and inclusion initiatives, performance appraisal process,
compensation and benefits, and compliance with general employment,
insurance, safety and other State and Federal laws, regulations and
- Hire qualified P&C staff and oversee HR functions performed
by members of the P&C team.
- Represent the Co-op in public functions and events, contribute
to Board of Director meetings and documents and any other duties as
requested by the General Manager.
- A high degree of confidentiality and discretion due to
regularly exposure to confidential information.
- Adhere to policies outlined in City Market's Employee and
Management Guides. Follow all department policies and procedures
for City Market to adhere to State, Federal and OSHA
- Support City Market's Global Ends, Values, Co-op Principles and
- Attend required meetings, trainings, seminars and workshops.
Core Co-op Competencies
- The ability to remain objective, fair and consistent when
making HR decisions.
- Capable of developing and maintaining strong, positive
- Superior interpersonal communication, public speaking and
- Always maintains approachability with neutrality as a resource
- Ability to model competencies in the areas of relationship
management, communication, leadership, business acumen, fostering
teamwork, and accountability.
- Ability to creatively problem solve a wide variety of
interpersonal issues and conflicts.
- Ability to develop and implement effective systems, policies
and procedures and update as needed.
- Ability to work well with others in a cooperative environment
where teamwork, compassion and constant communication are
- Ability to demonstrate clear and expressive verbal and written
communication skills, as well as genuine active listening
- Ability to follow through on commitments, a high sense of
personal and professional accountability.
- Ability to handle multiple demands, remain calm, think quickly,
prioritize effectively and problem solve within established
- Ability to speak, read and understand the English language and
carry out complex instructions.
- Ability to meet expectations of regular, predictable
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including mornings,
evenings, weekends and occasional late nights. Qualifications &
Skills Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree with an emphasis on Human Resources, Business
Administration or equivalent required; Master's or further study
- At least 10 years of leadership and strategic management
- At least 15 years of HR Management experience including
proficiency with state and federal labor laws, benefits management,
HRIS systems, unionized workforce, compensation analyses, employee
training, performance evaluation models and other appropriate HR
- Experience with or having significant knowledge of labor
negotiations as well as handing of grievances and
- Knowledge of natural and conventional foods and the food
industry preferred. Credentials:
- SHRM-SCP, SHRM-CP, SPHR or PHR highly preferred. Technical
- Solid understanding of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Public speaking and presentation skills are essential.
- HRIS and ATS (applicant tracking system) experience preferred.
- This position will occasionally be required to work at other
City Market locations for coverage or to attend required meetings,
trainings, etc. Some out-of-area and overnight travel may be
expected. Work Environment & Physical Requirement
- This job operates in a professional office environment with
noise levels varying from quiet to moderate in shared office
spaces. This is largely a sedentary role; however, ability to
occasionally lift or move up to 25 pounds required. While
performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly
required to talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by
this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. This
role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers,
phones, photocopiers, etc.
Keywords: City Market, Onion River Co-op, Boston , Director of People & Culture (Human Resources, Human Resources , Burlington, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!