Nurse Practitioner Neuro Critical Care (40 hrs)
Company: Boston Medical Center
Posted on: June 25, 2022
The licensed and credentialed Nurse Practitioner (NP) provides
diagnosis, treatment, consultation, and follow-up under the
direction of 1 or more physicians on the inpatient service, within
the ICU. The NP performs physical examinations and provides medical
treatment under the supervision of the attending physician. As an
expert professional, the Nurse Practitioner is responsible and
accountable for the application of the nursing process, supervision
of clinical practice, research involvement, consultative services,
inter and intradepartmental liaison, education, leadership and
patient care management across the health care continuum from acute
care through discharge.
Position: Nurse Practitioner, Neuro Critical Care (40 hrs)
Department: Stroke Service Support
Schedule: Full Time
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES:
I. Clinical Practice
- Provides direct care, counseling, and teaching to patients and
families according to established collaborative protocols and
standards of care.
- Sets priorities for appropriate and efficient management of
patient care that reflects cost effective management of time,
available human resources, supplies, and equipment.
- Performs physical examinations and provides preventive health
measures within prescribed guidelines and appropriate to patient
- Orders, interprets, and evaluates appropriate lab and
diagnostic tests to assess patient's clinical problems and health
- Based on outcome of diagnostic, lab, and physical assessment
findings, arranges for appropriate plan of care and follow-up.
- Records pertinent patient care findings in the medical
- Maintains interdisciplinary approach to planning and
communicating patient care information by discussing patient data
with appropriate physicians and other health care
- Evaluates outcomes of patient care and makes necessary
revisions in care plan.
- Seeks and provides consultative services as required.
- Through patient education and counseling, incorporates the
concepts of health maintenance, prevention, and promotion into
- Demonstrates awareness of community resources and assists
staff, patients, and families to effectively utilize them.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care
appropriate to the age groups of patients regularly served.
- Notifies supervisor when patients in age groups not regularly
served present, and seeks assistance from individuals with the
knowledge of the specialized needs of such patient age groups.
II. Professional Development
- In collaboration with appropriate physicians, assists in the
development, implementation, evaluation, and revision of nurse
practitioner guidelines, policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Demonstrates leadership skills in problem solving with and
directing designated personnel in assigned clinical area.
- Maintains current knowledge of legislation that may affect the
health care delivery system and the function of the nurse
practitioner in the hospital setting.
- Serves on nursing and hospital committees when requested and
refers appropriate information to various departmental and hospital
committees as needed.
- Identifies own learning needs and assumes responsibility for
maintaining current knowledge and competency in clinical practice
- Educates patients, families, and professionals through the
development of educational materials, in-services, formal lectures,
III. Quality Assessment/improvement and Research
- Consistently participates in the quality assessment/improvement
program for the service.
- Based on quality improvement finding, identifies appropriate
follow-up quality improvement projects or research studies.
- Utilizes quality improvement data and research findings to
enhance patient care.
- Participates in patient care research at a level consistent
with educational background and experience.
Master's degree in nursing required. Completion of an accredited
educational program for nurse practitioners required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
- Current license to practice as a registered nurse in the
Commonwealth of Massachusetts with authorization by the Board of
Registration in Nursing to practice in an expanded role.
- Registered with the ANCC or other accrediting organization for
- Registered with the State of Massachusetts and DEA for
prescription writing privileges.
- Current BLS and ACLS Certification.
Prior experience in similar clinical setting/specialty
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Expert clinical judgment and ability to be self-directive and
demonstrate initiative in an expanded role.
- Demonstrated critical thinking, problem solving and conflict
- Full command (verbal and written) of the English language.
- Demonstrated ability to apply principles of adult learning to
provide effective patient and/or family education.
- Organizational skills to set priorities and efficiently
complete assigned work.
- Effective interpersonal skills to facilitate communication with
the various members of the health care team, patients and
- Computer proficiency inclusive of the ability to access, enter,
and interpret computerized data/information required.
- Physical ability to meet the core job responsibilities in
accordance with the practice setting demands for the patient
populations regularly served.
Req id: 23759
Keywords: Boston Medical Center, Boston , Nurse Practitioner Neuro Critical Care (40 hrs), Human Resources , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!