ED Treatment Area Coordinator Split/Eve Shifts 32 hrs (Sat, Sun 11a-11p) (Fri-3p-11p)
Company: Massachusetts General Physicians' Organization
Posted on: March 20, 2023
Job Description - ED Treatment Area Coordinator Split/Eve Shifts
32 hrs (Sat, Sun 11a-11p) (Fri-3p-11p) (3236432) ED Treatment Area
Coordinator Split/Eve Shifts 32 hrs (Sat, Sun 11a-11p) (Fri-3p-11p)
- ( 3236432 ) GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT: Summarize the
nature and level of work performed. Under the general direction of
the ED Administrative Supervisor/Manager, the incumbent coordinates
administrative and reception support functions in Emergency
Department. Facilitates communication within and across treatment
areas and external Hospital departments. Arrives patients,
coordinates arrival to the treatment Areas, monitors patient
disposition to aid throughput, facilitates movement to/from test
sites and procedure areas. Organizes belongings, paperwork,
transportation for discharge of patient. Triages all telephone
calls and responds accordingly. Monitors entrances to secured
areas, screens before allowing entry. Must be sensitive to patient
needs and responsive to medical and nursing staff needs. Receives
patients' relatives and visitors and directs them to the
appropriate individual(s). Effective interpersonal and
communication skills are essential . Provides support as needed to
all ED staff. Must have excellent customer service and
organizational skills. Is expected to train and be competent to
cover 7 unique treatment areas with different workflows and
requirements. Expected to train and be competent to cover ED Main
Desk position. PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Indicate key
areas of responsibility, major job duties, special projects and key
objectives for this position. These items should be evaluated
throughout the year and included in the written annual evaluation.
PATIENT ARRIVAL PROCEDURES
- Performs Patient Arrival. Enters demographic data and obtains
medical record number.
- Arrives patient as unknown if unable to identify.
- Follows up on identity of unknown patients.
- Places ID band on patient (or delivers to room at clinician
request) and verifies name and date of birth.
- Redirects accompanying visitors/family to private waiting area
while patient gets settled at the direction of clinical staff.
- Contacts Social Services for Trauma patients whose family has
not been notified.
- Arranges for Emergency Release and pick up of Blood products at
direction of clinical staff.
- Links Arrival to Referral and CMED note.
- Rooms patient in Epic
- Conducts bedside registration interview. (May entail belongings
search for ID if patient is acute)
- Understands process to secure belongings for evidence
- Enters patient data into monitoring system after discharging
prior patient from monitoring system.
- Advises patients regarding valuables. Secures valuables and
documents at patient's request.
- Assembles, labels and appropriately routes patient paperwork.
PATIENT TRACKING PROCEDURES
- Reviews treatment area census in Epic frequently, and updates
to ensure accuracy
- Acts as liaison between clinical staff and transport to ensure
timing of transport to test area is appropriate.
- Arranges patient transport for tests. Places patient's name on
- Uses and differentiates between "Back In Bed" and "Back To Bed"
functions in Epic..
- Monitors Epic Trackboard to provide timely notice that all
handoffs are complete and inquires of clinical staff if timing is
appropriate for transfer to inpatient unit.
- Arranges transport to inpatient and observation units. Places
patient name and appropriate destination on Transport Board.
- Ensures paperwork moves with the patient,
- Supports Alternative pathway to NWH admission by documenting
bed assignment from Admitting, notifying Nursing, completing
transfer checklist and arranging transportation.
- Facilitates communication between patients/visitors and
Providers/Nurses. Provides direction and advice to patients and
visitors on non-clinical matters. TREATMENT AREA OPERATIONS
- Responds to all Clinician requests for assistance. Refers
unresolved requests to Charge for follow up.
- -Obtains Blood Bank requisitions and arranges for tubing or
pick up of blood products.
- Observes waiting areas/treatment areas and reports disruptions,
unusual activity, change in patient status to Security or Clinical
staff as appropriate.
- Monitors the Pediatric waiting area and informs clinical staff
of any concerns.
- Assists with security by monitoring entrances to the areas.
Requests limit to number of visitors at clinician request.
- Understands Section 12 paperwork, and knows which patients are
on Section 12. Notifies Security or Clinician if patient on Section
12 tries to leave.
- Responds to entrance requests in secured areas via the monitor
and screens before allowing entry.
- Troubleshoots reported hardware and software problems, Opens
Help Desk tickets for unresolved issues by and notifies
- When directed by Nursing, explains Violence Against Women Act
billing options to patient, completes necessary paperwork, notifies
appropriate parties for Registration and Billing updates.
- Understands and complies with policy related to SANE paperwork.
Arranges SANE nurse parking through Charge.
- Rounds regularly and collects paperwork from Provider 'done
basket', labels paperwork, checks location of the patient in Epic
and appropriately routes the paperwork.
- Runs reports to determine current location of patients who have
left the department and other information.
- Reviews the referral list and notifies Charge of patients in
the Department with unlinked referrals.
- Sets up communication aids for patients when requested (IPOP,
VPOP), or pages Interpreter services.
- Uses the Belongings function in Epic to document valuables and
belongings. PATIENT DISCHARGE / TRANSFER / DISMISSAL PROCEDURES
- Checks safe log , notifies Charge Coordinator, and ensures that
valuables are returned to patient prior to departure.
- Ensures patient belongings are returned to patient if they were
- Arranges discharge transportation at direction of clinicians
(taxi, chair car, ambulance, etc.) Ensures that MD completes
Ambulance Necessity Form.
- For patient transfers to other facilities assembles paperwork,
ensures Cobra Form is complete and signed. Sends original with
patient and files copies with the rest of the discharge
- For patient deaths: labels Report of Death and gives to
physician. Assembles paperwork for Medical Examiner and gives to
Charge with any MGH medical record paperwork. Assists with
returning valuables to families.
- Dismisses patients from Epic.
- Dismisses patients from monitoring system.
- Processes dismissal paperwork. Labels all paperwork.
Alphabetizes, and files paperwork. TELEPHONE / PAGING / VOALTE
- Answers all incoming calls for treatment area. Directs calls or
- Understands protocols related to off scope patients and
appropriately directs inquiries.
- Records and communicates lab results (stats and panic
- Appropriately re-directs stat result calls from the Micro
- Uses intercom system and Voalte system for intradepartmental
- Initiates pages at request of treatment area staff and when
noting the need for support services.
- Assists patients with notifying/calling families upon
- Calls ancillary departments to obtain services.
- Troubleshoots issues with Voalte phones, reports unresolved
issues to Charge.
- Reconciles Voalte phone inventory; notifies Charge of missing
phones and phones not signed out.
- Meets all competencies to cover the main ED phone lines.
VISITOR ASSISTANCE FUNCTIONS
- Receives request via intercom for visitor permission from Front
- Checks with patient's nurse for permission and relays to Front
- Greets, assists, directs visitors arriving in treatment
- May have to redirect visitors to the family waiting area.
- Follows through on visitor inquiries throughout the patient
- May request or instruct visitors to leave at request of
treatment area staff. PATIENT ON CALL TO OR PROCEDURES
- Prints additional ID band and delivers to patient room.
- Secures and documents patient valuable and belongings or
arranges for family to take them.
- Assembles any patient paperwork and labels it. Places in
plastic sleeve and delivers to patient room. SUPPLIES / EQUIPMENT /
- Orders and stocks specified forms and clerical supplies for
- Tracks down and obtains supplies at request of clinical
- Obtains equipment and arranges for equipment replacement/repair
at request of clinical staff.
- Calls Buildings and Grounds, Network Services, Biomedical
Engineering, etc. and arranges for routine immediate maintenance
- Communicates unresolved supply, equipment, physical plant,
safety, etc. issues to Charge Coordinator or Team Lead for follow
up. SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED: (MUST be realistic,
neither overstated nor understated, and related to the essential
functions of the job.) Ability to handle sensitive and confidential
information appropriately Sound judgment and critical thinking
Ability to prioritize effectively
Ability to handle multiple tasks in a busy environment
Strong organizational and follow-through skills
Accuracy and attention to detail
Strong customer service and interpersonal skills
Strong communication skills
Ability to be flexible and to function within a team
Has the ability to maintain composure in stressful
Basic computer skills and/or facility to learn computer skills
required for Microsoft Outlook, EPIC, etc. Schedule Requirements
All incumbents must work up to 6 holidays per year. Education
- High School diploma or GED required
- Associate/Bachelors degree preferred Experience
- Health care setting preferred
- 1 year related work experience preferred Primary Location Work
Locations MGH Main Campus Job Admin/Clerical/CustService-Other
Organization Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH) Schedule Part-time
Standard Hours 32 Shift Evening Job Posted Shift Description 40hr
Evening Shift with rotating weekends 7a-3p
Keywords: Massachusetts General Physicians' Organization, Boston , ED Treatment Area Coordinator Split/Eve Shifts 32 hrs (Sat, Sun 11a-11p) (Fri-3p-11p), Human Resources , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...