SENIOR IS PROGRAMMER ANALYST-IBM/ Per Diem / BWH - GENERAL INTERNAL MEDICINE
Company: CTI Education Group
Posted on: February 25, 2021
The per diem Senior Data Analyst (SDA) is responsible
foridentifying, querying and analyzing a variety of data to support
a researchproject to determine how mortality and health care
utilization unrelated toCOVID-19 changed during and after the
COVID-19 surge. The SDA will analyze andorganize complex
qualitative and quantitative clinical data, including (but
notlimited to) hospital system medical records (EPIC), Boston-wide
EMS services911 data, IBM MarketScan-- Research data, and possibly
financial andadministrative data, and then will synthesize results
into meaningful reports. TheSDA will be experienced in SQL
querying, Epic reporting tools, and R, and SAS. The SDA will
beresponsible for database development and electronic health record
dataextraction from the Mass General Brigham (MGB) Enterprise Data
Warehouse andwill work under the direction of the senior
biostatistician and project teammembers in measure specification
and testing activities. The SDA will assist inconducting
statistical programming and analysis under the direction of
theSenior Biostatistician. The SDA will work with collaborating
institutionaltechnology staff to run queries against the MGB
Enterprise Data Warehousesystems to identify data. This position
will involve applying the appropriatestatistical methods to
research questions. With consultation from the study
biostatistician,the SDA will be responsible for translating
research questions into analyticplans and analyzing data,
conducting valid statistical tests and statisticalmodels and
communicating findings in presentations and manuscripts. The SDA
isresponsible for checking the accuracy and reliability of the data
analyses. The SDA oversees the integrity of analytic databaseswhile
working closely with the project investigators. The SDA ensures
that theproject is proceeding according to plan and develops
recording systems assuringthat the flow of data is tracked in an
accurate and timely fashion. The SDA will work across all phases of
the researchproject, including extraction and organization of
clinical and other data froma variety of information systems,
automated data cleaning and verification,design, administration and
construction of databases, analysis usingstatistical approaches and
development of new informatics and clinicalmeasurement tools.
Additionally, the SDA will be a strong communicator, bothverbally
and written, in order to convey key data and data analytics.
Principle Duties andResponsibilities
- Extract data from a variety of clinical and other information
systems, including the MGB Enterprise Data Warehouse and electronic
data capture systems.
- Create analytic data sets from raw data, considering detection
of outliers and potential data quality issues.
- Perform data cleansing and data entry tasks as necessary to
support data analysis and reporting.
- Design and perform simple (descriptive) and complex statistical
analyses with advising from study investigators and senior
statisticians. Analyses may incorporate quantitative methods
including linear and logistic regression, Cox regression, and
regression methods for clustered and repeated measures data.
- Interpret analysis results and provide study team with succinct
summary of the statistical methods and data analyses in a readily
- Document all programming, data management, and decision steps,
which will serve as a technical appendix for project deliverables.
The documentation of all statistical programs will ensure
reproducibility of any scientific findings.
- Determine appropriate tools to meet the data and reporting
needs, inclusive of Brigham Health's Epic reporting tools such as
Clarity, as well as ad hoc data analysis through querying the
Brigham Health data warehouse.
- Write complex programs using SQL and SAS (Base SAS--, SAS Macro
Language, SAS ODS facility, SAS GRAPH, SAS STAT and SAS SQL).
- Perform comprehensive quality assurance, ensuring that
databases and reports meet end user specifications and data are
accurate and reliable.
- Meet with study team routinely to discuss status of analysis
and encountered issues if applicable; make recommendations on how
best to overcome obstacles or roadblocks.
- Participate in the preparation of statistical methods and
results sections of grants and manuscripts under research team
investigators and PhD Biostatisticians.
- Choose appropriate statistical methods for analyzing datasets.
Perform analysis using SQL, ACCESS, Excel and other tools such as
SAS or R as appropriate and develop reports.
- Design and construct databases (most typically SQL) to store
and organize data.
- Work closely with the research team to ensure accurate
collecting and recording of data.
- Implement study-specific procedures to ensure compliance with
regulations and internal best practices.
- Conduct data analysis using a range of statistical methods and
a variety of tools.
- Establish data quality and validation processes. Perform QA and
develop system documentation.
- Participate in meetings to review and discuss analytic
methodologies and results.
- Participate in other aspects of research, including study
design, qualitative data analysis, academic manuscript writing and
grant writing as relevant to the data analyst's skills and
- Perform all other relatedduties as required or assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, mathematics, statistics
or related field required; Master's degree in biostatistics,
statistics, or public health preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience in healthcare, preferably in a related
data analytics or programming position.
- 3-5 years of SAS and SQL experience required.
- Working knowledge of SQL and SAS ( Base SAS--, SAS Macro
Language, SAS ODS facility, SAS GRAPH, SAS STAT and SAS SQL)
- Working knowledge of R preferred.
- Fluency with healthcare data and/or working knowledge of claims
data strongly preferred.
- Experience with Epic electronic medical record system data
- Experience working with very large (TB) databases and computing
- Previous experience with IBM MarketScan-- Research Databases is
- Knowledge and application of statistical analyses including
predictive modeling and interrupted time series analysis
- Project management skills and/or experience a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel
- MS Access experience a plus. SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES
- Strong proficiency in manipulating large data sets and
synthesizing into digestible information.
- Experience with data manipulation, cleaning, and statistical
analysis using tools such as SAS, R, Python and other tools.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in healthcare, preferably in a
related analytics or programming position.
- Working knowledge of SQL, SAS (Base SAS--, SAS Macro Language,
SAS ODS facility, SAS GRAPH, SAS STAT and SAS SQL) preferred.
- Knowledge of Epic electronic medical record system data
- Strong ability to work effectively with investigator, and
- Ability to clearly communicate complex and sensitive data.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to focus
detailed concentrated effort to the project and re-establish
priorities as necessary.
- Strong team player.
- Attention to detail that ensures follow through on all
initiatives implemented, and all projects undertaken.
- Ability to effectively respond to time sensitive issues and
Primary Location Work Locations 75 Francis St Job Business and
Systems Analyst Organization Brigham & Women's Hospital(BWH)
Schedule Standard Hours 1 Employee Status
Keywords: CTI Education Group, Boston , SENIOR IS PROGRAMMER ANALYST-IBM/ Per Diem / BWH - GENERAL INTERNAL MEDICINE, IT / Software / Systems , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!