Medical Secretary - Pulmonary & Critical Care - 40 HRS
Company: Beth Israel Lahey Health
Posted on: June 13, 2021
Save Job Job Saved
Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel
Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned
tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology,
pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching
hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital
provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and
subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment
to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a
number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management
and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance
medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health
About the Job
Position Summary: Under general supervision of the Director,
assigned manager or designee, and in collaboration with physicians
and other care providers, provides secretarial and administrative
support to one or more individuals in a clinical environment.
Utilizes specific knowledge of medical terminology.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited
1) General Medical Office Functions:
- Maintains physician and midlevel clinic schedules on a
- Processes and monitors Provider time away and ensures that the
information is captured in all required systems.
- Answers a high volume of telephone calls in a professional
manner and takes responsibility for appropriate dispositions and
follow through on all phone calls. Accurately identifies those
patients requiring immediate attention and relays this information
to the appropriate personnel.
- Utilizes Lahey Health electronic systems in order to record
thorough, and complete phone messages.
- Electronically facilitates patient prescriptions including new,
refills, faxes, and prescription preauthorization's.
- Uses electronic systems to enter provider orders and retrieve
- Facilitates collection of outside medical records and x rays
for Lahey patients and indexes paperwork for scanning process.
- Processes forms required for insurance approvals for scheduled
procedures, office visits, or ests.
- Transcribes a variety of documents including correspondence,
memos, and department/staff meeting minutes. Proofreads all
documents for accuracy and completeness.
- In surgical departments uses electronic OR scheduling systems
to view and print schedules. Monitors and track physician progress
- Maintains provider correspondence, reports, and
- Makes physician travel arrangements as needed.
- Maintains physician curriculum vitae, bibliography and
Continuing Medical Education (CME).
- Screens, sorts and distributes mail.
- Operates office equipment including (but not limited to) a
personal computer, Internet, voice mail, e-mail, paging systems,
copy machine, transcription equipment and fax.
- Assists in establishing a new physician's practice, ordering
business cards, office supplies etc.
- Works with provider and/or other care provider to provide
access to patients and facilitate "work in" appointments as
- Schedules patients for tests and consultations as directed by
the provider or other care provider.
- Communicates information to patients regarding requirements for
appointments and test preparation, as needed.
- Uses clinic-wide scheduling system for updating demographic and
insurance information to ensure timely and accurate billing.
- Processes any physician or other care provider 'bump lists',
according to protocol ensuring all patients are provided and
notified of the new appointment.
3) Organizational Requirements:
- Maintains strict adherence to the Lahey Clinic Confidentiality
- Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles, Mission Statement
and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
- Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description,
performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the
needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the
needs of the department.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: None required.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
Knowledge of Medical terminology.
Proficient in standard office procedures and operation of
business machines, (personal computer, fax, telephone, dictaphone,
others as appropriate).
Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills;
organizational skills and attention to detail.
Experience: 1 year related office and/or medical office
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and
wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients,
their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed
in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered,
integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services
spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated
orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care,
community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home
health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified
joint contracting and population health management organization,
jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Keywords: Beth Israel Lahey Health, Boston , Medical Secretary - Pulmonary & Critical Care - 40 HRS, Other , Burlington, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!