Drift is the Conversational Marketing platform that combines
chat, email, video, and AI to remove the friction from business
buying. With Drift, you can start conversations with future
customers now, on their terms -- not days later. There are over
50,000 businesses that use Drift today to accelerate revenue,
shrink sales cycles, and make buying easy. Our mission is to use
conversations to make business buying frictionless, more enjoyable,
and more human.
About Digital First
Drift is a Digital First company, which means Remote is the
primary experience for all employees. For the majority of our
positions, your location is flexible! If "Remote" is stated in the
job location, that role can be located anywhere Drift is authorized
to do business in the United States.
Select roles may require you to be located in a city where we
have a Conversation Space (currently Boston, MA, San Francisco, CA,
Tampa, FL, and London, UK - with more to come across the globe), or
work hours associated with a specific time zone. If this is the
case, it will be explicitly stated in the job description. Please
work with your recruiter and hiring manager to learn more about
where Drift is authorized in the U.S. and to determine if you are
eligible for employment based on your location.
About the role
We look for Senior Engineers who are passionate and ready to
tackle some of the most meaningful problems in the industry-from
building adaptive AI for bot-supported conversations, to designing
next generation chat experiences, to bridging the gap between old
and new ways to buy.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you'll be working closely with
your Tech Lead and Product partners to build out solutions from
conceptualization to production.
You may be involved in creating infrastructure that processes
billions of messages a minute to extracting buyer intent and
priority for conversations. You could also build tools to trace and
visualize any message ever sent so our customers can zero in on
giving the best buying experience.
Meet some of our leaders!
Whether you're an intern or a principal, you will get to work on
hard problems together. We want you to bring out your unique
experience and specialities.
- Melissa Leffler, VP of Engineering, joined January 2019.
Melissa is building one of the best engineering teams in the
business to take Drift's products to the next level.
- Trevor Rundell, Director of Engineering, joined Feb. 2016. Trun
is the go-to guy for anything tech or getting deep on a
- Maggie Crowley, Director, Product Manager, joined Dec. 2017.
Maggie & the team own our bot features and built the interaction
flow we use today.
- Bernard Kiyanda, Director of Engineering, joined September
2019. Bernard and his team are instrumental in us expanding to our
- Ivan Saskor, Director of Engineering, joined October 2020. Ivan
and his team are building out solutions to create efficiencies for
sales teams to close deals through automation
- Jeff Orkin, Ph.D., Head of Drift AI Lab. Jeff and his team are
responsible for all things AI and building tools using ML and NLP
to continuously improve our platform!
- Mate Rakic, Director of Engineering, joined June 2018. Starting
out as a Tech Lead at Drift, Mate is now leading a team of
engineers to innovate the way companies engage prospective buyers
and make the process frictionless across the
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- Can put yourself in the shoes of our customers to unite design
& code and craft fantastic experiences
- Enjoy working on the backend, or anywhere it takes to solve
problems and delight customers
- If you're exceptional in a few areas (ex: you're a CSS master
or distributed systems guru)
- You are a systems thinking and you have experience designing,
building and maintaining REST APIs for use in production
- Have architected RESTful services and understand concepts such
as batching, versioning, and idempotency
- Are considered an expert of a server side programming language
- Take pride in creating results quickly by breaking projects
down. We execute on small pieces to generate visible results
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different
- Can stitch together many different services and processes
together even if you have not worked with them before
- Uphold quality standards in engineering, security, and
What you'll be doing on the team:
Day 1 you will
- Use your onboarding time to learn how things work here and to
practice writing and shipping software that makes our customers
- Start to dig in and get the basics down about our
- Learn Drift-specific systems, product information, and review
paperwork (we have to get that out of the way).
- Have lunch with your manager and maybe your team
By the end of week 1 you will
- Get to know your customer - Every team at Drift owns a
different area of the product and our Customers are a super
important ingredient to how we build products!
- Have received a first look into Drift engineering systems,
culture and product process through various conversations;
- How Product Works at Drift
- Engineering Path of Success/ Path of Failure
- Auth & Debugging at Drift
- Customer-centered Engineering
- Review of Drift SDLC
- Have transitioned from onboarding to your new team
- Have your local dev environment set up and you will have
completed your First-day ship!!!
By the end of month 1 you'll
- Meet all of your members from Design to Product and Customer
- Work with your tech lead to identify the "small rocks" (aka
Team Goals) for your first month along with any other goals.
- Also work with your tech lead to develop your list of personal/
- Get an intro to chat duty and how our CA team interacts with
our customers on a daily basis.
- Ramp up by engaging in these product processes at Drift;
- Take ownership of a "small rock" from a 1-pager
- Contribute to story time
- Participate in a green-lit kickoff
- Write code toward your "small rock"
- #Shipyard a completed product
- Measure your impact!
Drift is committed to being an equal opportunity employer.
We know that applying for a new job can be intimidating. But
guess what? At Drift, there is no such thing as an "ideal
candidate." We believe in the power of teamwork -- and in the
desire to learn something new every day. We believe in hiring
people, not just skills. Take it from our CEO.
If this sounds like a company you would like to join and a role
you would thrive in, please don't hold back from applying! Whatever
skills you bring to the table or background you're coming from, we
welcome you to start a conversation with us. We need your unique
perspective for our continued innovation and success. We're looking
forward to learning more about you!
Drift is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for
candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need
any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us
know at email@example.com