BWH Security Officer 1 / 21 Hours / Evenings / 301 South Huntington Ave
Company: Partners Healthcare System
Posted on: June 12, 2021
GENERAL SUMMARY/OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Receiving general direction from the Security Supervisor,
incumbent ensures a safe and secure environment; provides
protective service and response for protection of the people and
property of the Hospital; is responsible for assisting with the
day-to-day operation of Department.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide protection to people and property through patrol,
investigation, monitoring alarms and surveillance cameras.
- Patrol buildings and grounds, identify unsafe conditions and
improperly secured areas/property to help prevent theft, injuries
- Provide a high level of customer service by interacting with
patients, visitors and staff in a professional manner that is
proactive, friendly and helpful; create safety awareness among the
- Provide emergency response to a variety of situations.
- Conduct preliminary investigations into thefts, shortages and
other complaints involving potential misconduct.
- Provide escorts for staff, visitors and patients as
- Perform patient restraints; detains individuals suspected of
- Maintain accountability for valuables/property and other forms
- Assist motorists with jump starts and lockouts.
- Prepare and submit written reports in a complete and accurate
manner and log all incidents.
- May be assigned to special duties such as Bike Patrol and/or
Community Liaison Officer.
- May be assigned to an off-site location, including
administrative buildings, ambulatory care centers, and/or community
based health clinics. Will be cross-trained in other locations
beyond normally assigned work space.
- May be required to work other shifts and/or locations when
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Minimum of a high school diploma required. A strong educational
background (Associate's or Bachelor's degree) in criminal justice
or related field is preferred. A combination of both experience and
education will be considered.
- 1-3 years of security or related experience preferred.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Massachusetts Driver's
- Must submit to and pass an initial and annual criminal
- Must obtain and maintain required certifications in the
following programs (training provided by department):
o CPR/AED/First Aid
o Narcan (Naloxone) Training
o AVADE/HDTS De-Escalation Training
o International Association of Healthcare Safety and Security
(IAHSS) Basic Officer Certification (within first 90 days)
- The ability to be licensed as a Special State Police Officer
under the Commonwealth of MA General Laws Chapter 22 C, section 63
- Exemplary customer service and communication skills. Must be
able to handle complex interpersonal situations and crisis
- Strong risk analysis and organizational skills.
- Reliable and flexible.
- Must be able to gather, analyze, evaluate, and utilize facts
and evidence. Interview victims, complainants, witnesses, and
- Must be able to prepare clear and concise reports and routine
- Operate office equipment including computers and supporting
word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications.
- Must be able to read, write and speak English fluently. Fluency
in more than one language preferred.
- Physically must be able to lift 50 pounds. Ability to
stand/walk for a minimum of 8 hours. Ability to run to any
emergency within the hospital and adjoining campuses and be able to
verbally and physically control an emergency situation upon arrival
if necessary. Strong sight and hearing abilities needed in order to
effectively deal with diverse and emergency situations. Capacity to
use appropriate force to overcome, arrest or restrain someone if
- Each officer must be able to perform each task in the
functional assessment outlined below upon hire (within the first 90
days) and annually.
3 Minute Step Test
- Measures the heart rate in the recovery period following three
minutes of stepping.
- Stand with the step in front of you. Begin by stepping up and
down the step in cadence with the metronome. Continue with this
exercise for three minutes. Then you will be asked to sit down in
and your heart rate will be recorded after one minute of rest.
Step, Bend, and Crawl
- Measures mobility and coordination.
- Stand in front of the hurdle. Start by stepping over the
hurdle, bending and crawling under the table, and stepping over the
second hurdle. Reverse direction and repeat the sequence.
- Measures the ability to assist lifting a stretcher.
- You and a partner will stand at either end of the stretcher
that is loaded with approximately 150 lbs in weight. Bend with your
legs with your back straight and grasp the stretcher. Straighten
your legs to lift the stretcher, then reverse to put the stretcher
Pull and Drag
- Measures upper body strength
- Take firm hold onto the belts and drag the 150 lb. sled 10 feet
across the room and reverse directions back to the starting
- Measures balance.
- Start at the end of the 1 inch wide tape. When prompted to
start, step on the tape, alternating with each foot until you reach
the end of the tape. Your foot must be in contact with the tape on
- The stair climb measures the ability to climb stairs at a quick
- Starting at the bottom of the stairway, on the command Go, the
watch is started and you must walk up four flights of stairs at a
quick pace. At the top of the stairs, you will need to take a card
and walk quickly down the four flights of stairs to the starting
point and return the card to your proctor. You must complete this
in 35 seconds or less.
HOSPITAL WIDE RESPONSIBILITIES:
Brigham and Women's Hospital I CARE Standards
The I CARE Standards guide me in my interactions with patients,
family members, visitors, colleagues, and neighbors in my workplace
and surrounding community to optimize the Brigham experience and
help fulfill my role in our mission of providing seamless, high
quality patient and family centered care.
C. I will Communicate my commitment to high quality
A. I will Appear and act as a professional
R. I will Respect all individuals
E. I will Extend myself
Keywords: Partners Healthcare System, Boston , BWH Security Officer 1 / 21 Hours / Evenings / 301 South Huntington Ave, Other , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!