Patient Access Representative II - Per Diem
Company: Boston Medical Center
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Patient Access Representative II
Boston Medical Center (BMC) is more than a hospital. Its a
network of support and care that touches the lives of hundreds of
thousands of people in need each year. It is the largest and
busiest provider of trauma and emergency services in New England.
Emphasizing community-based care, BMC is committed to providing
consistently excellent and accessible health services to all-and is
the largest safety-net hospital in New England. The hospital is
also the primary teaching affiliate of the nationally ranked Boston
University School of Medicine (BUSM) and a founding partner of
Boston HealthNet - an integrated health care delivery systems that
includes many community health centers. Join BMC today and help us
achieve our Vision 2030 which is a long-term goal to make Boston
the healthiest urban population in the world.
Position: Patient Access Representative
Department: Patient Access Services
Schedule: Per Diem
Working in conjunction with all disciplines, responsibilities
include prioritization and assignment of all inpatients,
observation and surgical day care patients to inpatient beds. Works
with supervisory staff to maintain a systematic review and
assessment of bed availability. Ensures appropriate assignment
based on clinical need and staffing constraints. Conducts
registration duties with accuracy. Utilizes customer service skills
when interacting with patients and co-workers.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES:
Bed Scheduling Duties:
- Utilize and update computer online systems (BMC BedBoard and
Edits) for bed placement:
- Maintain efficient patient placement in the inpatient bed
setting based on scripted criteria for type of bed, service and/or
- Collaborate with nursing, and medical staff in assessing
patient needs and appropriate placement of individual patients
- Facilitates daily bed meeting and identifies issues at bed
- Troubleshoots and communicates with supervisor when bed
availability is tight and need to make alternative plans.
- Instruct and educate physician's office staff on proper
procedures for booking admissions and levels of care
- Corresponds with external agencies for all transfers/direct
admits to ensure appropriateness of admission and timeliness of
- Identifies and recommends process changes to continuously
improve bed management operations.
- Conforms to hospital standards of performance and conduct,
including those pertaining to patient rights, so that the best
possible customer service and patient care may be provided.
- Utilizes customer services skills when interviewing patients,
families and/or referring physicians during the registration
- Conducts patient registration online according to established
procedures to ensure data accuracy and proper reimbursement from
third-party payor and patients.
- Verifies patient eligibility for insurance coverage updates
online system as needed.
- Obtains patients online consent for treatment.
- Directs patients to proper departments for information about
insurance coverage, free care, care net etc.
- Completes free care applications as needed
- Collaborates with the Medical Records Dept. regarding patient
duplicate medical record numbers
- Accepts patient valuables and follows hospital procedure for
securing of them
- Maintains current knowledge of the online system application
for registration MPI (Master Patient Index).
Requires knowledge generally acquired through the completion of
a high school education.
Requires at least two years of previous experience in
registration, medical office work or managed care. One year of
registration experience is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Computer skills are essential-including Microsoft Office and
- Requires the ability to maintain patient confidentiality
- Customer service experience is essential
Keywords: Boston Medical Center, Boston , Patient Access Representative II - Per Diem, Other , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!