Staff Nurse, Radiation Oncology (MGH DANVERS)
Company: Partners Healthcare System
Posted on: June 12, 2021
GENERAL SUMMARY / OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
A registered nurse, who, as part of a multi-disciplinary team,
provides appropriate assessment, intervention and direct care to
the patient and family, co-ordinates services, ensures quality and
continuity of care during the treatment and follow-up period.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Provides competent and compassionate nursing care based on
scientific principles and the use of nursing process.
- Discusses patient diagnosis and plan of care with the Radiation
- Performs initial patient assessment which recognizes age
appropriate behavior, nutritional needs, cognitive and physiologic
- Provides age appropriate patient education regarding radiation,
chemotherapy, diagnostic tests, medications, symptom management and
- Identifies, facilitates and evaluates outcomes of nursing care
through weekly assessment utilizing nursing process.
- Communicates the plan of care and other pertinent
patient/family information to/from other healthcare team members:
radiation therapists, social service, dietary, and VNA and
- Documents pertinent patient information in the LMR
- Recognizes the inter-relationships between cultural, social,
spiritual, economic, psychological and biological factors.
- Provides and maintains a safe and therapeutic environment for
the patient and family.
The staff member must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and
skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of
patients, through geriatric, served on the unit.
- Collaborates with other professionals and directs
nonprofessional staff in maintaining recognized standards.
- Teaches and directs nursing personnel for whom she/he is
- Participates in orientation of new and permanent staff members,
including colleagues from other areas and programs within the
Participates in daily operational activities of the Radiation
- Co-ordinates clinical activities with the physician and
radiation therapists to ensure efficient flow of patient care. This
includes weekly status checks, follow-up clinics and new patient
consultations and procedures.
- Utilizes resources efficiently to facilitate optimal patient
- Provides input to the Nursing Director regarding unit
- Assists with appropriate financial initiatives such as
- Participates in maintaining supplies and equipment in patient
- Provides assistance as needed in cleaning, processing and
maintaining equipment. This includes items for CSR and immediate
use in Radiation Oncology.
- Participates in Quality Improvement activities, including data
collection, measuring outcomes and recommendations for
- Participates in the orientation of new staff, provides
mentoring for students and serves as a resource for
- Maintains/updates clinical knowledge and skills relative to
current oncology nursing practice through participation in relevant
continuing education and learning experiences.
- Adheres to requirements for re-licensure and re-training.
- Identifies learning and professional needs, sets goals and
formulates a plan for achieving them.
- Contributes to relevant committees, professional meetings and
continuing educational programs.
- Seeks out and utilizes appropriate resources to enhance patient
care and professional development.
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program
- A current Massachusetts license as a Registered Nurse
- A minimum of 2 (two) years of Medical-Surgical nursing and
preferably 1 (one) year of oncology nursing or 3-years pediatric
- Bachelors Degree preferred
- Oncology Certification preferred, working towards attainment of
OCN or expectation of certification within discussed timeframe of
SKILLS / ABILITIES / COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Basic computer skills necessary
- Excellent customer service and communication skills with
ability to deal with a wide range of personality types is
necessary; ability to deal with diverse cultural backgrounds and to
show flexibility and compassion when dealing with a variety of
patients/families in stressful situations
- Good organizational skills to handle multiple tasks in a busy
- Assists in maintaining an environment of safe and comfortable
- Maintains CEUs and attends pertinent educational offerings to
maintain high level of expertise
CUSTOMER SERVICE RESPONSIBILITIES REQUIRED:
- Conveys Compassion: Demonstrates awareness and shows
sensitivity to others needs.
- Respectful of Others: Considers others viewpoints and treats
others with honesty, fairness and integrity. Speaks highly of the
capabilities of the hospital and its staff.
- Attentive to Others: Actively looks for ways to help customers
by identifying and proposing appropriate solutions and/or
- Collaborates with Others: Maintains cooperative working
relationships and builds team identity. Promotes a friendly,
cooperative climate within the department and hospital
- Accountable for Actions establishes a high degree of trust and
credibility with others. Evokes confidence in character, abilities
and truthfulness. Demonstrates efforts to succeed and excel. Guards
- Informative: Proactively shares information with others.
- Adaptable to Others: Managers multiple demands, shifting
priorities and rapid change. Adapts plans, behavior or approaches
to fit major change situations.
- Acts Professionally: Builds trust through reliability and
authenticity. Demonstrates results oriented behavior. Develops
constructive, cooperative relationships with others.
- Emotionally Self Aware: Understands the implications of own
emotions and managers appropriately.
- Safety: Is aware of and adheres to safety measures for both
patient and staff.
- Daily exposure to the mental/emotional stress related to the
oncology experience(s) of patients/families.
- Hazards include regular exposure to blood and body fluids, risk
or exposure to hazardous materials and risk of physical
Keywords: Partners Healthcare System, Boston , Staff Nurse, Radiation Oncology (MGH DANVERS), Other , Danvers, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!