Counselor (Southampton Street Shelter), Fri - Tues, 7am - 3pm
Company: Boston Public Health Commission
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Since 1983, the Commission's Homeless Services Bureau has
provided emergency shelter, workforce development, and housing
services to individuals experiencing a crisis of homelessness with
the goal of making homelessness in Boston rare, brief, and one
time. We are one of the largest shelter providers in New England,
running two emergency shelters, which operate 24 hours a day 365
days a year, and providing more than 5,000 homeless individuals
annually with food, beds, lockers, emergency clothing, health care,
case management, and housing services. We use a housing first
framework and principles of trauma informed care, restorative
justice, and health equity to people move from homelessness to
housing as quickly as possible.
- Ensures overall safety of guests and shelter/program
- Performs rounds throughout the unit.
- Searches clients for contraband upon arrival in unit.
- Intervenes to de-escalate conflict situations, anticipating
potential conflict situations and intervening prior to crisis.
- Conducts informal counseling sessions to assess needs and make
appropriate referrals to internal and external programs.
- Develops positive professional relationships with guests to
- Maintains stable environment by ensuring resident compliance
with program rules and individual service plans. Performs
urinalysis screening if necessary.
- Assists in overseeing and facilitation of support group
meetings, NA/AA meetings, life skills and other training for
- Trains and assists guests with daily living tasks as
- Monitors and serves meals, coordinates food and other supplies,
and supervises clean up after meals.
- Monitors and distributes linen and clothing supplies for
- Attends required meetings and training sessions.
- Provides phone coverage, as necessary.
- Transports clients via program van.
- Performs various administrative tasks such as maintaining
accurate records, recording log notes and data entry.
- Performs other duties as required.
Associate of Science Degree OR High School Diploma / GED and 1
year of related experience.
Experience working with addicted and mentally ill populations
Experience working with diverse ethnic, racial and low income
Able to follow directions and work harmoniously with staff and
Computer literacy preferred. Strong written and verbal skills
Bi-Lingual/Spanish speaking preferred
Valid MA driver's license and good driving record required
Keywords: Boston Public Health Commission, Boston , Counselor (Southampton Street Shelter), Fri - Tues, 7am - 3pm, Other , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!