Histology Specialist, II / 40 Hrs. / Evenings / Pathology / BWH
Company: Brigham and Women's Hospital
Posted on: June 12, 2021
GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Under very general supervision, handles and prepares surgical
and autopsy tissue for microscopic analysis. Maintains diagnostic
viability of all specimens received and interprets results of
special studies. Embeds, sections and stains a wide variety of
routine and complex tissue. Performs routine and complex special
stains, coverslips slides, and accurately labels slides and blocks.
Responsible for sign out of slides and filing of blocks. Records
work in laboratory log books and in hospital computer with a high
level of accuracy. Maintains laboratory equipment and working
solutions for stains. Independently trouble-shoots problems
relating to routine operation of laboratory. Orients and trains new
and less advanced laboratory staff.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains diagnostic viability of all specimens received.
Ensures correct patient labeling of all materials received.
Interprets results of special studies, distinguishing negative
results from failed study. Uses independent judgement in tissue
- Embeds routine and complex tissue in paraffin, orienting
according to tissue type indicated on worksheet. Checks surgical
case number and verifies on worksheet. Records on grossing sheets
the number of blocks received and organizes blocks for
- Sections paraffin blocks of routine and complex tissue from 2
to 50 microns using a microtome. Mounts paraffin section on
microscopic slide and transfers surgical case number to slide.
Verifies match of surgical case number between blocks and
- May perform frozen sections of routine and complex tissue for
immunohistochemistry and enzyme histochemistry.
- May perform other specialized histologic procedures such as
nerve teasing, limited routine immunohistochemistry and microtomy
utilizing a sliding microtome.
- Performs H&E staining, and routine and complex special
staining of paraffin embedded tissue according to instructions on
requisition paperwork. Verifies match of surgical case number
between slides and paperwork.
- Coverslips prepared slides manually and utilizing automated
systems. Records in laboratory logbooks all slides and stains
prepared. Logs appropriate information into the surgical pathology
computer system. Verifies match of surgical case number.
- Organizes slides for distribution to residents, fellows and/or
senior pathologists according to requisition paperwork and
worksheets. Documents and follows up with senior pathologist any
- Responsible for filing and accurate record keeping of paraffin
- Responsible for documentation of daily QA/QC charts for all
- Independently troubleshoots problems relating to routine
operation of laboratory. Evaluates existing protocols and
- Orients and trains new and less advanced laboratory staff.
- Competent in the use of a PH meter. Understands the theory of
molarity and buffer solutions.
- Prepares and maintains working solutions for routine H&E
staining on automatic stainers, including daily quality control.
Prepares and maintains working solutions of routine and complex
special stains, including maintaining acceptable working
- Maintains individual microtome and other laboratory equipment
in proper working order, following appropriate laboratory safety
protocols. Extensive knowledge of all laboratory equipment.
- Participates in continuing education/in-service training
sessions sponsored by the Department.
- Maintains established department policies, procedures and
objectives, including the areas of quality assurance, safety,
environmental and infection control.
- Follows all JCAHO National Patient Safety Goals and related BWH
Laboratory and Hospital policies.
- Performs all other duties and responsibilities as
- High school diploma or equivalency required. A.S., B.S. or B.A.
in a biological or chemical science and/or completion of a NAACLS
accredited histology technician training program highly
- Other qualifications described in the Federal Register, 42 CFR,
Subpart M 493.1351-1495.
- 3 years of experience as a histology technician.
- HT(ASCP) certification required. HTL(ASCP) highly desired
Keywords: Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston , Histology Specialist, II / 40 Hrs. / Evenings / Pathology / BWH, Other , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!