Surgical Technician II - Bonus Eligible
Company: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Job Summary: The Surgical Technician II is an individual who is
certified, and educated to perform surgical technology services
that contribute to safe, quality and fiscally responsible care of
patients. Is a competent practitioner who practices with minimal
guidance and direction asking for assistance when necessary.
- Collaborates with the circulating nurse prior to a surgical
procedure to carry out the plan of care by preparing the operating
room, gathering and preparing supplies, instruments and equipment,
preparing and maintaining the sterile field using sterile and
aseptic technique and ensuring that surgical equipment is
functioning properly and safely.
- During the intraoperative phase of patient care anticipates and
responds to the needs of a surgeon and other team members by
monitoring the sterile field and providing the required instruments
- Perform tasks at the sterile field as directed in an operating
room setting, including; passing supplies, equipment or
instruments, sponging or suctioning an operative site, preparing
and cutting suture material, transferring and irrigating with
fluids, transferring but not administering, drugs, handling
specimens, and assisting in counting supplies and instruments with
the circulating nurse.
- Recognizes, intervenes, and reports situations which impede
patient safety. Safeguards the privacy of patients. Maintains
confidentiality relating to patients. Aware of patient's rights and
legal, moral, and ethical implications of actions.
- Facilitates efficient turnover time by prioritizing activities
related to equipment and instrumentation needed for cases to follow
in assigned room. Recognizes and reports problems related to kits,
equipment or supplies.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Certificate 1 Cert Surg Tech (CST) required., and Certificate 2
Basic Life Support required.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Graduate of an accredited education program for surgical
technologists or has completed a training program for surgical
technologists in the United States Military or Public Health
- Holds and maintains a certified surgical technologist
credential administered by a nationally recognized surgical
technologist credentialing body accredited by the National
commission of Certifying Agencies and recognized by the American
College of Surgeons and the Association of Surgical
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a
basic level within web-based applications.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by
general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation.
May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate
complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied,
requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct
observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and
procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general
guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or
unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and
effectively in written English with internal and external
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in
English to communicate effectively with medical center staff,
patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of
standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the
ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to
improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas,
identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer
service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a
professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in
active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and
or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature
and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority
of their shift.
Keywords: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston , Surgical Technician II - Bonus Eligible, Other , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!