Practice Assistant II / 40 Hours-days / BWH Rehab / Foxboro
Company: Brigham and Women's Hospital
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Brigham and Women's Hospital is committed to putting every
Patient First. Every employee plays a role in providing a positive
impact on patients and the care they receive at Brigham and Women's
Hospital. Our service will be distinguished by the delivery of
high-quality and safe patient care, respect and dignity in all
interactions with patients, families and colleagues and by customer
All employees are expected to embrace this commitment and
demonstrate behavioral competencies in the following areas:
- People: Focus on serving the community through collaboration
- Self-Management: Accountability, professionalism and commitment
to growth and development
- Organization: A commitment to quality, service and exceptional
Meeting these expectations is key to the success of the
department and the organization.
The Ambulatory Practice Assistant II is primarily responsible
for appropriately greeting and welcoming all customers who visit
the practice, including checking patients in and out, collecting
appropriate co-payments in the practice management system,
distributing necessary institutional and practice-specific forms,
requesting that patients review and verify existing demographic and
insurance information, setting certain expectations for patients
regarding their visit, and responding to customers' information
needs. Responsible for answering and appropriately managing
incoming telephone calls, following up on phone messages, and
triaging walk-in patients. The Ambulatory Practice Assistant II is
responsible for monitoring patients in the waiting room and
assisting in related patient flow processes. This position is
responsible for performing various administrative and clerical
duties required to support the practice, such as managing the
scheduling referral work queue, and may be required to perform
other tasks as assigned.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs all aspects of patient scheduling which includes;
entering complete information, booking appropriately the
disposition of all appointments, confirming patient visits, and
inputting necessary data. This includes booking of interpreters
- Operates multi-line telephone consoles for ambulatory rehab
department (PT, OT, SLP).
- Screens calls and provides information to callers, records and
transmits messages, or directs call to triage therapist and/or
appropriate individuals. Returns follow up calls as indicated.
- Prepares, organizes and distributes all appropriate patient
reported outcome measures.
- Correctly identifies issues related to insurance/registration
and cordially directs patients when changes are indicated.
- Appropriately identifies problems/opportunities that impact on
clinical schedules and service availability to the triage
- Receives files and/or distributes incoming mail and insurance
- Scans all department related forms including written physician
referrals and Medicare Certifications into EPIC and manages MD
reconciliation in EPIC.
- Schedules appointments, utilizing the computer's clinical
information scheduling option, for multiple ambulatory EPIC
departments within Rehabilitation Services. Organizes schedule for
- Maintains various lists and records such as triage and walk-in
referrals and beeper numbers, as directed.
- Organizes and maintains appropriate inventory of office
supplies in the department.
- Arrives, cancels, or no-shows all daily visits in EPIC.
- Manages pre-scheduling program of post-op patients, research
patients, and walk-ins.
- Assists in training of new clinical and front desk staff in
regard to scheduling and front desk duties.
- Assists managed care coordinator with assigned tasks. Fills in
for managed care coordinator in their absence.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills in all interactions
with public, staff, patients and families and caregivers. Is always
polite and courteous. Understands how to de-escalate tense
situations and ask for assistance when needed.
- Maintains all provider scheduling templates and adjusts in a
timely fashion as needed.
- Performs all check-out functions, including scheduling
follow-up visits within the rehabilitation department.
- Daily monitoring and execution of the eReferral work queue for
their respective rehabilitation clinic. This includes scheduling
referral appointments from the work queue. Also, work to ensure all
the BWH expectations are met with scheduling referral appointments
and linking referrals.
- Provides support and information to patients and providers to
problem solve and manage complex administrative and patient
- Maintains confidentiality and privacy, which is consistent with
- Understands HMO, Managed Care, and other Third-Party
- Understands financial services and self-pay resources and
provides patients with information as needed.
- Works on special projects as directed.
- Performs all other duties & tasks as assigned.
Level of education required:
- Minimum of a high school diploma or GED. Some level of higher
education is preferred.
Work experience required:
- Three or more years of customer service experience or
experience in a hospital setting preferred.
- Must have good customer service skills. Must be able to
multi-task. Experience in problem solving, customer service, phone
and email usage.
- Must be computer literate, including competence in Microsoft
Office suite as well as experience in computer-based appointment
scheduling. Moderate proficiency in keyboard skills.
Must understand the overall goals and systems of the facility;
communicate effectively with socially diverse group of patients
visiting their providers for problems that may be life threatening;
coping with the anxiety and stress often created in such a
situation; communicate well with a large group of physicians and
mid-level providers working in a face-paced and demanding
environment; respect the strict confidentiality of medical records,
patient information, both in written and conversation form.
Work requires a three-month training and orientation to become
familiar and competent with department procedures.
Keywords: Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston , Practice Assistant II / 40 Hours-days / BWH Rehab / Foxboro, Other , Foxboro, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!