Medical/Practice Assistant/Psychiatry,Longwood Ave
Company: Partners Healthcare System
Posted on: June 12, 2021
- Accurately performs the intake process using two patient
identifiers, this includes checking vital signs, blood pressure,
height and weight. Documents all results into Epic
- Reviews and documents allergy and smoking status
- Performs medication reconciliation following BWPO and BWH
standards; this includes reviewing the patient's medication list
and documenting/updating as needed
- Enters prescription renewal requests in Epic using the
prescription renewal queue making sure to enter all pharmacy
information and medication names in coded format
- Ensures PROMS, and practice specific paperwork are completed,
helps complete them if necessary
- Reviews practice policies and procedures with new patients
- Performs patient education around virtual visits
- Responsible for managing the prescription renewal line, ensures
all patient's requests are handled in a timely manner. This
includes management of prior authorizations
- Maintains excellent customer service
- Assists patients in completing appropriate releases of
- Ensures equipment is properly maintained; communicates issues
to the practice manager
- Communicates to the practice manager when supplies must be
- Administrative Duties and Responsibilities:
- Answers all incoming calls, e-Referrals and electronic messages
via Epic and Outlook from providers and patients seeking Mental
Health services, timely, consistently, and exhibiting courtesy and
- Verifies patient demographics and insurance information at the
beginning of each call. If there is an update required, transfers
the caller to the Patient Service Center at the conclusion of the
- Assesses referred patients to determine appropriate level of
care, consulting with psychiatry department social work and MD
staff as needed. Performs preliminary acuity/risk assessment.
Directs patients with emergent needs to ED settings, and patients
with less urgent needs to appropriate outpatient settings
- Act as the clinic Liaison for sup-specialty clinics; this work
includes attending monthly meeting and relaying updates and changes
to the Operation Supervision and the call center team.
- Assesses appropriateness of referral for services available at
BWHC clinical sites
- Schedules all new patient appointments as clinically
- Provides direction for those scheduled appointments, ensuring
correct date/time, location, and visit expectations are set
including those related financial matters and sending new patient
- Performs and documents all triage and coordination interactions
in Epic and in accordance with BWH and Department procedures
- Proactively reviews all BWHC ambulatory settings for
specialties and resources to ensure
- appropriate appointment allocation/scheduling services
- Proactively reviews cancellation and waitlist to ensure optimal
- Adjusts templates and daily schedules as needed; add clinical
time to physician's schedules to accommodate patients as needed.
Cancels and reschedules appointments as requested and works
physician's bump list as required.
- Maintains a statistical data base on referrals within and
- Maintains confidentiality and complies with professional ethics
according to professional and Departmental standards
- Facilitates the appropriate and efficient use of hospital and
- Obtains Medical Records for Specialty Services (e.g.: WMH and
- Performs and completes physician orders accurately and
thoroughly. Responsible for performing various administrative and
clerical duties required to support the clinicians on an as-needed
basis including faxing and mailing of letters
- Function as a front desk Practice Assistant II
(check-in/check-out responsibilities etc.) when required.
Competently perform all duties and responsibilities indicated in
the front desk Practice Assistant II job description.
- Responsible for communicating inventory needs and
opening/closing functions. This would include communication of
staples supplies, turning on/off lights, ensuring that photocopier
and fax have paper etc.
Education required: High School Diploma or GED
Associate's or Bachelor's degree preferred.
Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant Certificate Program
Experience in healthcare setting preferred.
Technical Skills/Competencies Required:
- Knowledge of practice operations and standards.
- Beginning to intermediate knowledge and use of medical
- Ability to accurately perform vital signs and obtain pertinent
health information including but not limited to; temperature,
pulse, respirations, blood pressure, height, and weight.
- Ability to participate in the medication reconciliation
processes and related prescription management tasks, including
- Knowledge and ability to perform specific procedures and tests
as appropriate to the clinical setting.
- Communication skills: Demonstrates effective oral and written
communication skills in English. Communicates in a professional,
courteous, clear and concise manner. Facilitates therapeutic
relationships between patients, families and other members of the
health care team.
- Writing Skills: Ability to correspond and communicate with
others clearly and effectively in writing (via e-mail, memo or
interoffice note, documentation of patient information) and to take
complete and accurate messages.
- Phone skills: Ability to telephonically support the practice by
answering and screening calls, offering information within scope of
practice to facilitate communication.
- Organization Skills: Ability to manage work processes in a neat
and systematic way. Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively,
appropriately prioritize clinical work, follow established
policies, procedures and clinical practice guidelines,
- Technology Skills: Demonstrates ability to utilize technology
in the clinical setting. Includes basic computer skills as well as
the utilization of electronic medical equipment. Ability to type
accurately and enter data at an intermediate level. Ability to
become proficient in using the EHR and other appropriate
applications. Ability to utilize hand-held technology and download
related data to the electronic health record.
Hospital Wide Responsibility:
Works within legal, regulatory, accreditation and ethical
practice standards relevant to the position and as established by
BWH/Partners: follow safe practices required for the position;
complies with appropriate BWH and Partners policies and procedures;
fulfills any training required by BWH and/or Partners; as
appropriate; brings potential matters of non-compliance to the
attention of the supervisor or other appropriate hospital
Keywords: Partners Healthcare System, Boston , Medical/Practice Assistant/Psychiatry,Longwood Ave, Other , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!