- Available Jobs
- Working at G&H
- Apprenticeships and early career
Sr Optical Engineer
Job Category: R&D Engineering
Location: Boston (MA, US)
G&H offer exciting and rewarding opportunities for motivated
and talented people to join a team of like-minded, highly skilled
colleagues who want to grow and succeed with our company.
Hiring talent to complement and grow our current teams' skills
and capabilities is a strategic priority to enable our plans for
Our seven business locations in the United States and four
UK-based businesses employ across a broad range of functions
including engineering and process, manufacturing, product
management, supply chain and customer services, quality assurance,
continuous improvement, compliance and finance.
As the Sr. Optical Engineer you will be mainly responsible for
the design and development of fused fiber coupler products at the
G&H Boston site. You will drive product and process design with
considerations of design for manufacture of fused components and
other photonics products as required. You will follow the NPI gate
process, ensuring the products meet both internal and customer
specifications as required. There will also be a requirement to
support other areas of the business with Project, Product and
Process Engineering skills as required.
- Take responsibility for fused fiber product optical performance
and development to deliver robust designs to Manufacturing
Engineering and Product Engineering with a full understanding of
product performance through modelling and verification
- Work with the UK fused team who have been developing and
manufacturing fused components for 25 years+, seeking support and
challenging designs and processes within the constraints of export
- Support the site engineering team and be a resource for
technical escalations from the manufacturing engineering team as
- Contribute to and manage programs as required, reporting on
deliverables and support meetings as required.
- Participate in pre-sales, supporting the commercial demands of
the business on development projects and in some instances take the
lead with customer technical communication.
- Meet deadlines, maintaining clear communication with all
- Provides processes that are robust and repeatable against
product specifications and that support the quoted cost. Work with
Manufacturing to improve and streamline existing processes for
increased accuracy and efficiencies.
- Promote a culture of engineering excellence, knowledge sharing
- Provide technical support for RMA process where
- Provide guidance on future program opportunities and product
- Support the marketing and IP portfolio of G&H by writing of
papers, patents, and presentation of material to peers, customers
and review boards.
- Other duties as assigned by your manager.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
SPECIALIST FUNCTIONAL KNOWLEDGE
- Experience in fusion splicing of specialty fibers / high
resolution loss measurement.
- Experience designing complex high precision optical systems
including proficiency with computational software (such as ZEMAX or
Code V) to design and optimize optical systems
- Hands-on experience with creating and executing test protocols,
analysing test results and recommending prototype design iterations
to optimize system optical performance
- Understand business system tools, NPI, Engineering Change and
ensure correct implementation by Development Engineering
- Be fully versed in scorecard KPIs, understand how Development
Engineering actions and strategy effects site performance
- Understand strategy and objectives to align with site
- Develop strong working links with technical and business
development experts across G&H, understanding group objectives
and core competencies of other sites
- Familiarity with clean room protocols and setting-up and
operating an optical lab
- Job Knowledge
- Innovation & Creativity
- Problem Solving
- Drive and Determination
- Customer Focus
Engineering (Optics/Physics/Mechanical) or Science based Degree.
Masters or PhD preferred
- Knowledge of designing, manufacturing and processes used in
fiber optic fused couplers
- Experience in opto-mechanical-thermal modelling
- Experience in optical system design and tolerance analysis
- Laser beam metrology and diagnostics such as M2 measurement,
beam divergence, etc.
- Familiarity with stray light analysis
- Experience in a manufacturing and development environment
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
- Release time & Milestone delinquency
- Product yields & RMA return rates
- NPI revenue
The responsibilities of this position will involve having access
to items and technical data that may be controlled under U.S.
export laws and regulations ("U.S. Export Control Laws"), including
but not limited to the Export Administration Regulations ("EAR")
and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations ("ITAR"). In
order to comply with the U.S. Export Control Laws, and in
conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions
within G&H that may present access to export-controlled
technical data, G&H must assess whether candidates are "U.S.
persons" as defined under the EAR (15 C.F.R. Part 772) and the ITAR
(22 C.F.R. 120.15). Certain questions asked during the application
process are intended to assess this and will be used for evaluation
You must have US Citizenship.
How to Apply
Resumes should be sent to email@example.com with Sr. Optical
Engineer noted in the Subject line.