Medical Assistant II
Company: Massachusetts General Hospital
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Sr Technical Assistant - Medical Assistant for Department
Provides technical support to surgeons by performing duties in
the following areas of clinical operation:
- In-office diagnostic procedures.
- In-office surgical procedures.
- Specialized equipment care and maintenance.
- Specialized surgical instrument care and maintenance.
- Maintenance of clinical environment of care.
- Support practice initiatives by working with other departments
to include: SPD, GI Endoscopy Unit and Main Operating Room.
- Mentor and assist new clinical staff and externs.
- Attend meetings, focus groups, trainings and other group
initiatives as deemed necessary and appropriate by Administrative
- Promotes and adheres to all regulatory and safety standards;
OSHA, JCAHO, Infection Control, HIPAA. Maintains required
certifications and core competencies.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Coordinates and assists with office-based diagnostic
- Set up and assist in colorectal ultrasound procedures during
daily outpatient clinic hours.
- Assist with image capture and archiving and storing images in
equipment database by taking digital image with equipment, labeling
file with patient identifiers and saving to appropriate archival
- Assist in preparing and positioning patient for transducer
placement by administering the appropriate bowel prep and
positioning patient in prone position on procedure table.
- Assist in balloon inflation and drainage by inserting the
appropriate anoscope for balloon insertion and assisting patient
- Administer patient bowel preps as needed.
- Clean and disinfect anorectal probe.
- Set up and assist in anorectal manometry procedures during
daily office clinical sessions.
- Prepare and assist in positioning patient and placing catheter
and balloon by inserting the appropriate anoscope for balloon
insertion and assisting patient with evacutation.
- Coach the patient on timing contractions while surgeon operates
equipment, using stop watch and telling patient when to flex the
splenic flexture inducing voluntary contractions.
- Assist patient with balloon expulsion and catheter
- Assist with pudendal nerve monitoring (probe placement) and
sphincter sponge testing as warranted by insertion of the
appropriate anoscope for probe to be placed through.
- Set up and assist with flexible sigmoidoscopy and
- Sterile test all instruments prior to procedure.
- Administer bowel preps as needed.
- Assist in preparing and positioning the patient for scope
insertion, administering the appropriate lubricant and placing the
patient in the prone position on procedure table.
- Assist in polypectomy by inserting forceps into scope and
extracting tissue samples from forceps.
- Set up and assist in thyroid ultrasound and ultrasound guided
- Prep and position patient for surgeon.
- Prepare needle gun for biopsies
- Download , archive and index all captured images
Coordinates and assists with office-based surgical procedures
during daily clinic sessions.
- Set up and assist with a variety of minor, specialized surgical
procedures including (but not limited to):
- Hemorrhoid ligation by setting up the ligator with appropriate
bands, preparing the rectal area and positioning the patient.
- Core needle breast biopsy preparing biopsy tray and needle guns
for use by surgeon and passing instruments needed during
- FNA by preparing the aspiration needles and setting up the
slides for specimen capture.
- Lymph node and temporal artery biopsy
- Excisions (pilonidal and sebaceous cyst, lymphoma, moles and
skin lesions) by setting up the instrument trays, laying out the
local nerve block agent, preparing the site for excision (marking
if necessary), dressing the wound post excision, preparing
specimens for pathology and recording the Universal Protocol
- Incision and drainage procedures following procedures similar
to office excisions.
- Botulinum toxin (and other) injections by reconstituting the
medication and laying it out for surgeon with the appropriate
needles, preparing the rectal area and placing the patient in a
prone position on the procedure table.
- Removes sutures and staples instructed by surgeon
Specialized Equipment Maintenance
- Perform required infection control testing and documentation
for sterilization agents and equipment
- Pre-clean and leak test all video-sigmoidoscopes prior to
- Clean suction pumps; replacing canisters as needed.
- Clean and disinfect rectal ultrasound probes in high level
- Clean and disinfect linear array transducers for thyroid
- Clean and disinfect manometry and biofeedback probes and
pudendal nerve monitors.
Care and Management of Surgical Instruments
- Scrub out (remove blood and tissue) and disinfect all
instruments prior to terminal sterilization
- Wrap all clean instruments for processing
- Tag and remove all defective instruments; notify manager of
status of these instruments.
- Assemble all specialized instrument trays used in
General Clinical Duties
- Direct patient flow in outpatient practice facility, managing
flow of charts between reception area and clinical examination area
and escorting patients from waiting area to clinical examination
area and pre-check out.
- Continuously monitor and update patient tracking system to
reflect movement of patients in facility.
- Takes pre-visit / pre-procedure vital signs.
- Perform basic phlebotomy (as needed).
- Transport specimens as required.
- Properly dispose of medical waste and soiled linen.
- Perform clinical and pharmaceutical supply inventory
- High school diploma or equivalent required. Completion of
certificate program in medical assisting with internship required.
Associates degree preferred.
- Minimum two years experience in outpatient surgical
- Minimum two years experience with handling diagnostic equipment
and surgical instruments.
- Current phlebotomy certificate.
- Current BLS certification.
- Basic computer skills.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Proper handling of surgical instruments.
- Basic understanding of nosacomial infections and infection
- Trained in and demonstrates proficiency in sterile
- Training in diagnostic equipment maintenance, pre-cleaning and
- Basic Life Support / CPR trained.
- Patient vitals
- Basic phlebotomy
- Outpatient ambulatory practice facility. Some O.R.
- Exposure to bodily fluids and items that may be contaminated
with human blood or waste products.
- Exposure to sharp objects, such as scalpels.
- Exposure to cleaning products and other chemicals.
- Restricted Area access required.
Keywords: Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston , Medical Assistant II, Other , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!