Front Desk Coordinator
Company: Brigham and Women's Hospital
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Performs all secretarial and receptionist functions necessary
for the complete and efficient management of patients through The
Lung Center, including the acquisition of necessary patient-care
and records. Using the Department of Medicine and Surgeries'
standard greeting and appropriate telephone etiquette, answers all
incoming telephone lines in a timely fashion. Adheres to divisional
and departmental service standards related to patient experience
including a standard and professional check-in/welcome to the
center and check-out administrative tasks.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform duties under moderate supervision with intermediate to
advanced proficiency in administrative skills.
- Act as a super user for scheduling, registration, and billing
systems. Provide training and assistance to others in these
- May perform more complex or specialized functions (i.e.
surgical scheduling) at highest competency level.
- Utilize knowledge of HMO's, managed care and other third party
insurers, and troubleshoots insurance issues as appropriate.
- Greets and assists patients when they check in & out of the
clinic in a professional manner.
- Obtains or reviews their demographics & fiscal information
- Collects Co-Pays, enters payments and closes batch at the end
of the day
- Prepares necessary documentation for scheduled patient
- Answers patient's telephone calls, correctly processing
information or answering questions or solving problems.
- Schedules all appointments including ancillary testing
- Communications effectively and in a professional manner with
patients regarding wait times
- Maintains general reception area, ensuring cleanliness and
- Obtains prior authorizations.
- Adheres to Joint Commission and Department of Public Health
regulations as well hospital and Departmental policies, such as:
Attendance, Co-Pay and Dress Code.
- Performs other duties and tasks as requested by supervisors to
ensure the efficient overall performance of the facility,
maintaining flexibility regarding the occasional need for the staff
coverage in other areas of the facility
Fulfilling Responsibilities to Patients:
- Answers patient's telephone calls, correctly processing
information on ambulatory appointment scheduling or answering
questions or solving problems. If necessary, transfers call to an
appropriate person or department to assist the patient.
- Obtain or reviews all patient demographic information,
insurance information and referral numbers.
- Calls patients from waiting area by addressing them as Mr., Ms.
or Mrs. introduces him/her self and provides explanation as to the
- Accurately records all data and maintains necessary records or
files relating to clinical care issues.
- Accurately and efficiently collects co-pay following all
policies and procedures set in place
- Assists patients in a manner that promotes the perception that
the staff is courteous, efficient and interested in their
healthcare. Treats all patients with dignity and
- Acquires all materials necessary for the patient visit
including medial records and x-rays.
- Answers telephone calls professionally and courteously within
five rings introducing the practice as requested by the division
- Whether on the phone or in person treats all patients and
internal customers with dignity and professionalism.
- Accurately completes and processes necessary test requisitions
for patient care.
- Accurately and efficiently obtains prior authorizations.
Fulfilling Responsibilities to Physicians
- Maintains a professional relationship with all physicians
- Informs physicians of patient volume and wait time during
- Communicates with patients regarding delays in schedule.
- Answers telephone calls correctly processing all patient
information for messages, appointments, or patient
- Obtains or reviews all patient demographics, insurance and
referral information as necessary.
- Responsible for cash collection following guidelines as
provided by the Co-Pay Cash Collection procedure.
- Completes physician's orders/requests accurately.
- Maintain and adjusts physicians schedules as requested.
Interacting with Fellow Employees
- Works to establish and maintain good working relationships with
- Treats all co-workers and internal customers with dignity and
- Works cooperatively with fellow employees to solve problems and
enhance the smooth and efficient flow of the practice.
- Provides coverage for responsibilities of co-workers when
assigned or as need arises.
Interacting with Supervisory or Administrative Staff
- Follows instructions of and assists supervisory staff as
- Maintains good communication and reports problems to
Equipment and Supplies
- Maintains all patient care and support equipment assuring that
they are clean and in good working order. Reports problems to
supervisor or follows protocol for reporting problems.
- Maintains inventory of necessary supplies and equipment
following procedures set by practice manager.
- Ensures that all supplies are adequately stocked.
- Maintains a neat organized work environment.
Performs all other duties or tasks as assigned or requested by
the supervisor to ensure the efficient overall performance of the
- High school diploma or GED required; post-high school education
- Minimum one year of applicable work experience required.
- Additional training in office systems preferred.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Technical skills required:
- Knowledge of practice operations and standards.
- Understanding of procedures including filing, copying,
scanning, printing, and faxing.
- Ability to use phone system (answer and screen calls, put on
hold), answer routine questions, and give routine information.
- Ability to interpret information as appropriate, answer routine
questions in the most professional manner, and communicate in a
professional, courteous, clear, and concise manner.
- Ability to manage work processes in a neat and orderly way and
to sort and alphabetize.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively, follow
established protocols, and work within systems.
- Ability to correspond and communicate with others clearly and
effectively in writing (via e-mail, memo, or interoffice note) and
to take complete and accurate messages.
- Ability to type and enter data at an entry level. Entry level
understanding of applicable systems.
- Understanding of the appropriate use and importance of related
- Basic understanding and use of medical terminology.
- Basic comprehension of insurance types and referral
- Basic comprehension of registration and fiscal
- Knowledgeable and compliant with all hospital, State, and
Federal requirements (where applicable to job performance),
including policy and procedures with The Joint Commission and
Hospital based ambulatory practice. Normal patient environments
where there are some exposures to communicable diseases, unpleasant
odors, needle, and blood products.
HOSPITAL WIDE RESPONSIBILITIES:Works within legal, regulatory,
accreditation and ethical practice standards relevant to the
position and as established by BWH/Partners; follows safe practices
required for the position; complies with appropriate BWH and
Partners policies and procedures; fulfills any training required by
BWH and/or Partners, as appropriate; brings potential matters of
non-compliance to the attention of the supervisor or other
appropriate hospital staff.
Keywords: Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston , Front Desk Coordinator, Other , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!