Railroad Signal Transit Designer
Company: Vanasse Hangen Brustlin
Posted on: June 12, 2021
VHB's growing Transit & Rail Practice is seeking a Railroad
Signal Transit Designer to join our Boston, New York City, or
Washington DC office. This position requires you to live in or
relocate to Boston, NYC, or Washington DC as you will need to be at
project sites in and around these metropolitan areas.
WE ARE VHB-a passionate team of engineers, scientists, planners,
and designers tackling exciting challenges in the transportation,
real estate, institutional, applied technology, and energy
industries-serving a range of public- and private-sector clients.
At VHB, we are dedicated to improving mobility, enhancing
communities, and balancing development and infrastructure needs
with environmental stewardship.
- We are creative problem-solvers
- We work hard, and we give back
- We like our colleagues, and we love Mondays (really)
- We are diverse, caring, welcoming, and fun!
VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work
for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We're growing, and we
hope you'll join us!
About the Position
Railroad Signal Transit Designer | Boston, NYC, or DC
Skills & Abilities
Be able to understand the following attributes of a North
American-based signaling systems:
- Train Control Systems for Light Rail Transit, Heavy Rail
Transit, Freight Rail, Commuter Rail, and Intercity Rail and
High-speed rail operations.
- Detailed knowledge of vital and non-vital signal electrical
- Knowledge and understanding of AREMA and IEEE
- Wayside and CAB based Signaling systems including, relay and
microprocessor based interlockings, switch machines, track
circuits, negative return and cross bonding, and/or axle counters
- Ability to design in accordance with the FRA principles defined
in the CFR 49 parts 234-236 relating to vital and non-vital
software and to read, understand, and develop and modify electrical
- Ability to design and modify software systems for Programmable
Logic Controllers Vital and Non-Vital Microprocessor based
- Experience with designing "at grade" railroad crossing systems
for both constant and fixed warning systems including traffic
- Designing, sizing and developing specifications for Signal
Control Systems including power supplies and distribution.
- Perform design calculations, prepare material and equipment
specifications, cost estimates, Force Account work scopes,
Microsoft project schedules and provide preliminary sketches and
notes for drawings.
- Knowledge of office systems involving of computer-based control
systems and dispatcher workstations.
- Knowledge of rail-based signal construction installation
techniques and standards for heavy and light rail
- Minimum of 5 to 10 years' experience with CFR 49 Parts 234-236,
AREMA Signal Manual and Recommendations and IEEE and how they
pertain to train control systems.
- Working knowledge of all applications within the Microsoft
Office software group.
- Ability to create or revise electronic drawings using AutoCAD
and/or MicroStation CAD programs.
- Support the installation, testing and commissioning of rail
based signaling, Communications Based Train Control (CBTC) and
Positive Train Control (PTC) projects
- Participate in client meetings and project signaling design
- Participate in factory and construction field reviews, site
inspections and commissioning procedures.
- Possess excellent verbal, written and interpersonal
- Capable of supervising, mentoring and motivating staff members.
Ability to travel locally and nationally when required.
- A positive attitude towards teamwork, communication and
- BS in Electrical Engineering or related field such as Computer
Systems Engineering and 5-10 years' experience in railroad and/or
transit signaling design.
- Experience with signaling standards and practices as it relates
to all stages of signaling projects from design to installation and
- Proven ability to work in a team environment.
- PE or EIT preferred but not required.
New employees will be onboarded virtually and begin their
employment from home. We are in the process of planning for a safe
return to the workplace in alignment with government and CDC
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or
veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Keywords: Vanasse Hangen Brustlin, Boston , Railroad Signal Transit Designer, Other , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!