Donor Center Nurse Manager
Company: Massachusetts General Hospital
Posted on: June 12, 2021
The Donor Collections Manager has a primary reporting
relationship to the Medical Director and a secondary reporting
relationship to the Director of Operations, Lab and Molecular
Medicine. The Donor Collections Manager is functionally responsible
for coordinating clinical, educational, and administrative
activities of the Blood Donor Center, Blood Donor Mobile Units,
Apheresis Collections and the Component Processing Lab. The Donor
Collections Manager is an extension of the Medical Director and
works to ensure competent, compassionate care to the donors, and to
their families. The Standards of Practice of the AABB and the
Philosophy of the Blood Donor Center form the basis of such
The Donor Collections Manager is responsible for the
organization and management of Donor Service In-House collection
facilities, the Blood Donor Mobile Units (BDMUs) and the Component
Processing Laboratory, as well as, the implementation of policies
and procedures, staffing, management and evaluation of all staff.
The Donor Collections Manager also takes Charge duty periodically
in the Donor Center and on the BDMUs.
- Supports the practice of compassionate and competent donor care
with the active participation of the nursing and technical
- Assesses, observes, supervises, demonstrates and evaluates
- Maintains donor standards, policies, and practices of the
department and ensures compliance with the standards of regulatory
- Maintains a safe environment for donors and staff within the
assigned area. Ensures compliance with safety policies, including
- Initiates appropriate actions in emergency situations.
- Assists staff in identifying and utilizing inter and
intra-departmental resources to facilitate donor care.
- Demonstrates and supervises the appropriate use of equipment,
supplies and physical facilities.
- Ensures complete confidentiality of donor information and
compliance with HIPPA regulations.
- Practices and teaches excellent customer service skills and
ensures high level of compliance among staff.
- As staffing demands, periodically functions as Charge
- Ensures that all donor and quality control records are accurate
and complete. Ensures staff compliance with current Good
- Is responsible for maintaining a pleasant and professional work
environment for the benefit of donors as well as BTS
- Is actively involved in the inventory and management of unit
supplies. Requires lifting of supplies and equipment weighing 20
lbs. or less.
- Serves as an administrative role model and resource in
resolving unit or department problems.
- Coordinates communication and planning between personnel as
well as with other departments.
- Participates in budget preparation and monitoring, as well as,
ordering and evaluation of equipment and supplies.
- Actively participates in departmental committees for the
formulation of policies and procedures.
- Participates in evaluative studies of donor care,
instrumentation, policies and/or procedures.
- In collaboration with the Manager, Donor Services and the
Medical Director, hires and trains new staff
- Manages all clinical staff within the operation (RN lead
apheresis techs, apheresis techs) and performs annual
- Assigns and adjusts staffing as necessary, taking into
consideration the donor population, overall unit and departmental
needs, and the skills of individual staff members.
- Makes recommendations for staffing patterns to the Medical
- Provides performance based feedback to staff members as
required and in collaboration with the Manager, Donor Services and
the Medical Director, as applicable
- In consultation with the Medical Director and Director of
Operations, LMM, will initiate and implement disciplinary action
for all clinical staff.
- Initiates appropriate actions during internal and/or external
- Coordinates and holds regular staff meetings.
- Ensures that staff schedules are developed and distributed in a
- Writes, reviews and revises policies and procedures.
- Responsible for weekly timekeeping for staff payroll in
- Maintains complete and accurate training and personnel records
for all BDC staff in Media Lab.
- Identifies educational needs of the staff.
- Arranges educational programming when appropriate.
- Communicates progress of staff development to the Medical
- Oversee and assists in the orientation and training of all new
staff members. Ensures competency levels are achieved and
- Identifies learning needs and goals and designs a plan to meet
- Maintains necessary clinical skills through self-directed
- Supports and participates in departmental administration and
- Completes annual training requirements.
Bachelor's of science in nursing required
Required: A minimum of 3-5 years of Supervisory experience in
blood donor collection
Preferred: Additional non-supervisory experience in blood donor
collection, experience in Apheresis or Dialysis and/or Critical
Care experience highly desirable.
Keywords: Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston , Donor Center Nurse Manager, Other , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!