Material Characterization Senior Scientist
Company: SES AI Corp
Posted on: June 25, 2022
Senior Scientist, Material Characterization
About Us SES is the world's leader in the development and
manufacturing of Li-Metal batteries for automotive applications
including Electric Vehicles (EVs) and Electric Vertical Take-Off
and Landing Vehicles (eVTOLs). SES is an integrated Li-Metal
battery manufacturer with strong capabilities in material, cell,
module, AI-powered safety algorithm, and recycling. It is
headquartered in Singapore and has subsidiaries in Boston,
Shanghai, and Seoul. Its shareholders include General Motors, SK,
Temasek, Tianqi Lithium, Applied Materials, Vertex, and Shanghai
For more info, please visit our website: www.ses.ai
Position ScopeSES has an opening for a Senior Analytical Scientist,
who is passionate about mobile energy storage and is an expert on
Material characterization. The successful candidate is committed
and dedicated, responsible, focused, detail-oriented, able to
adjust in a fast-paced working environment, collaborate well with
other staff members with a shared vision and demonstrate excellent
organizational communication skills.
This position will be based in our Woburn, MA location.
- Serve as an internal expert on Materials characterization
- Lead test method characterization and validation
- Procure analytical equipment as and when needed.
- Analysis of chemical, physical, and thermal properties of all
battery materials and understand their interactions with each
- Performs critical interpretation of analytical data; analyzes
information to drive mechanistic understanding.
- Develop a fundamental mechanistic understanding of Li-metal
anode cell performance failure modes.
- Ability to work independently in experimental design to resolve
- Be able to work in a team environment and provide expertise to
the team effort.
- An ability to communicate new concepts and draw insight from
discussions with coworkers.
- Expertise and hands-on experience in operating and maintaining
analytical instruments including but not limited to GC, FTIR,
UV-Vis, DSC, TGA, SEM, XPS, Raman, IC, 1H-NMR, and 19F-NMR.
- Ability to analyze data and draw deeper conclusions from
analytical data to drive faster turnaround times.
- Demonstrable track record of learning new technologies quickly
and using your skillset to have a tangible impact in a short time
- Ability to onboard and integrate existing in-house knowledge
with new discoveries and challenges being tackled in developing
high-energy rechargeable lithium metal cells.
- Ability to identify and execute testing metrics to shorten the
cycle of learning.
- A technical leader with the ability to positively influence
peers and bring the team together.
- Track record of intellectual property creation.
- Experience working with moisture sensitive materials in a
glovebox or dry room.
- Nice to have: Experience in electrochemistry, specifically on
- Doctorate in chemistry, chemical engineering, materials
science, or related fields with 5+ years of industrial/academic
- Demonstrated passion to be in the mobile energy space.
Keywords: SES AI Corp, Boston , Material Characterization Senior Scientist, Other , Woburn, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!