Company: Ports America Group
Posted on: September 18, 2023
At Ports America, the Marine Superintendent will effectively
plan and supervise the duties associated with terminal operations
and staff.-- This includes ensuring efficient, safe, and productive
operations for your assigned customers, terminal area, and cargo
type. This role is also responsible for participating in the
development and achievement of operational and financial goals and
objectives and incorporating Ports America Values of Safety,
Integrity, Pursue Excellence, Create Happiness, Connect and One
Team in all aspects of communication, behavior, and business
dealings. ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Supervises and directs the work activities of, labor, foreman
and other personnel; ensuring performance expectations and customer
needs are met.
- Develops short range business plans designed to achieve company
goals and objectives while operating within approved fiscal
- Determines the amount of labor needed for each day and ensures
labor is order appropriately for your assigned area.
- Makes decisions affecting overtime cost and general
expenditures and ensures they are made in the best interest of our
company and customers.
- Determines additional staffing / labor needs and contacts union
in advance, ensuring cost-effective staffing and availability.
- Ensures payroll accuracy and makes appropriate changes as
- Identify areas of cost reduction and leads and support OPEx
- Actively champions and manages the company's Safety program
ensuring that all labor and staff comply with accident prevention /
safety and workers' compensation programs and procedures.
- Reviews Safety trends for your area and incorporates corrective
- Develops, reviews, and approves efficient operational plans for
- Works closely with M&R/Terminal Departments to ensure the
appropriate equipment allocation meets operational demands.
- Maintains positive relations with labor and union officials and
that the Collective Bargaining Agreements associated to your
workforce are understood and followed.
- Counsels, disciplines, and terminates Foremen and Supervisory
Union positions when necessary.
- Ensures union leadership enforces collective bargaining
agreements and works in the best interest of the company.
- Advises Site Manager/General Manager of union labor
investigative matters and assist in adjudicating all complaints
filed through Labor Relations committees up to arbitration.
- Ensures union leadership counsels, disciplines, and terminates
union staff when necessary.
- Responsible for attending Labor Relation Committees for
grievances you have filed and expected to follow up on decisions
and inform peers and direct managers of outcome.
- Participates in regular training and feed-back to labor and
- Participates in the interviewing and selection process for
steady labor and management staff.
- Communicates areas of accountability and performance
expectations to labor and management staff.
- Develops, communicates, maintains, and improves operating and
administrative procedures (consistent with area procedures and
objectives) designed to provide required information and facilitate
- Ensures certifications and required training and clearance is
current for you and your staff.
- Ensure that all company policies, procedures, and controls are
followed and that required reports are completed accurately,
submitted on time to appropriate staff, customers and other
designated personnel, and that appropriate staff and labor have a
full understanding of these procedures.
- Travels to support other operations as needed.
- Other duties as assigned and relevant Minimum Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or GED
- 5+ years of experience in Terminal Operations or closely
- Experience with computerized operating systems
- Knowledge of safety and accident prevention codes and
- Knowledge and understanding of cargo stowage and stability
- Obtain and Maintain TWIC card issued by the Department of
- Valid US Driver's License --Preferred Qualifications:
- Proficient in MS Office
- Good communication skills both verbal and written
- Ability to be available to work varied hours, shifts and
- Ability to manage time efficiently
- Ability to successfully execute in a fast-paced
- Ability to plan and organize to effectively execute a plan
- Ability to drive and influence performance in others
- Ability to deal with stress effectively
- Ability to make good decisions and respond quickly to
operational issues Working Conditions:
- Climb up and down a ladder on a vessel multiple times within a
- Work in changing hot and cold climates based on weather
- Work in an environment that may be hazardous to persons unable
to see and hear fast moving equipment
- Drive 50% of the time
- Lift, push, and or pull up to 30lbs NOTE:-- This job
description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employees may
perform other related duties as needed to meet the ongoing needs of
the organization. Ports America is an Equal Opportunity Employer
encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race;
color; religion; national origin; sex (including pregnancy); sexual
orientation; gender identity and/or expression; age; disability;
genetic information, citizenship status; military service
obligations or any other category protected by applicable federal,
state, or local law. This role does not offer sponsorship for work
authorization. External applicants must be eligible to work in the
US.-- If you require additional information about our comprehensive
Our dedicated team at Ports America will be pleased to address any
specific inquiries or concerns you may have regarding the handling,
protection, and security of your data. We are committed to ensuring
the utmost privacy and confidentiality of your personal information
and will gladly provide you with the necessary details to help you
better understand our practices and protocols.
Keywords: Ports America Group, Boston , Marine Superintendent, Other , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!