Global Head of Research Strategy & Operations (RS&O)
Posted on: November 20, 2023
By clicking the "Apply" button, I understand that my employment
application process with Takeda will commence and that the
information I provide in my application will be processed in line
that all information I submit in my employment application is true
to the best of my knowledge.
Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company
that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as Global
Head of Research Strategy & Operations (RS&O)
in our Cambridge, MA office.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through
our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led
company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their
potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top
Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and
strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive,
collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an
unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter
Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold
- Reporting to the Chief Scientifc Officer (CSO) and as a member
of Research Leadership Team (RLT), lead and execute Strategy &
Operations (S&O) for all Global Research activities
- Provide oversight of data and digital strategies enabling
effective use of analytics (e.g. dash-boards) to monitor and enable
decision making on pipeline, resourcing, and financial
- Provide strategic and proactive oversight of pipeline
priorities and trade-offs, guiding decisions across the Research
portfolio, fiscal and operational efficiencies, and business
- As a key partner to the CSO, ensure effective planning and
follow up of senior-level and cross-functional meetings focused on
agile execution of Research portfolio and asset strategies, fiscal
management and business excellence.
- Oversee the management of key strategic and operational
functions for Global Research, Strategy, Portfolio Governance,
Centralized Operations and Compound Management
- Serve as a point of contact and engagement for functional
leaders in Takeda R&D, including, but not limited to, Portfolio
Management, Governance, Communications, Finance, HR, and
Procurement, as well as strategy and operations groups embedded
within Drug Discovery Units (DDUs) and Research line functions
- Act as Research "Chief of Staff", senior advisor to the Chief
Scientific Officer (CSO) and Research Head across all Global
strategic & operational initiatives, activities, deliverables and
- As strategic partner to the CSO and Research Head, define
Research leadership focus and shape Research objectives, KPIs, and
MRP (Mid-Range Plan) financial goals.
- Define a holistic view of the Research pipeline to support RLT
portfolio prioritization and inform stakeholders outside Research
(e.g., TAUs, CEI, Pharm Sci).
- Use digtal and data technologies to track and forecast Research
performance (scientific and financial) to enable decisions that
drive towards the organization's vision and connect operational
activity to strategic intent.
- Lead effective change management across the Global Research
function that is driven by data analytics and by insights achieved
through proactively scanning internal and external landscapes.
- Oversee Research Strategy and mid to long term projects that
are interdependent with functions across R&D or the broader
Takeda organization, including Business Development
- Oversee Research Governance: Define Research leadership
agendas, coordinate Research leadership meetings, execute strategic
reviews (e.g., capacity, forecasts, special projects, space
- Oversee Research Portfolio Management: Deliver advanced
portfolio analytics and insights that drive effective decision
making (probability of technical success, project milestone
achievement, dwell time, resourcing), manage governance reviews,
facilitate tracking and project management.
- Oversee non-scientific Research Operations: Drive continuous
operational improvement across Research, co-lead financial planning
with Finance, co-lead outsourcing strategy with Procurement, ensure
quality and compliance, support Research colleagues' professional
- Oversee Global Compound Management: Drive continuous
operational efficiency and innovation.
- Oversee Research Communication In collaboration with R&D
Communications team,: drive transparency throughout Research,
facilitate connectivity, enable within-function and
- Enable cross-functional communication by owning the success of
multiple modes of interaction, such as Town Halls, CSO/RLT
leadership messages, Microsoft Teams and SharePoint, and key
- Serve as an 'Ambassador' of Research in the broader Takeda
ecosytem, liaising within Research and beyond (e.g., Legal,
Finance, HR, Procurement, Facilities) to ensure that deliverables
are provided on schedule, surface and resolve bottlenecks,
effective space planning, and modify business processes to meet
Takeda's evolving needs.
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS: Proactive,
resourceful, self-motivated, and should possess exemplary
interpersonal skills to interact professionally with all levels in
- Must recruit, manage, and develop a talented workforce in
Research Strategy and Operations.
- Ability to act independently through complex cross-functional
matrices and international sites is essential.
- Accurate and concise communication skills are essential.
- Excellent general problem solving and project management
skills, and proven ability to manage multiple initiatives and
structure complex tasks.
- Minimum of 12+ years experience in the pharma / biotech
industry, with demonstated deep understanding of drug discovery and
development practices and significant operational experience in
pharma / biotech field.
- Ph.D. degree in Chemistry, Biology, or related field preferred,
but may not be required based on industrial experience in a
pharma/biotech R&D setting.
Will manage globally coordinated work product, possibly with direct
reports at multiple locations. Up to 40% travel may be required,
including domestic and international flights with overnight
This position is currently classified as "hybrid" in accordance
with Takeda's Hybrid and Remote Work policy
Base Salary Range: $240,100.00 to $343,000.00, based on candidate
professional experience level. Employees may also be eligible for
Short-Term and Long-Term Incentive benefits as well. Employees are
eligible to participate in Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance,
401(k), Charitable Contribution Match, Holidays, Personal Days &
Vacation, Tuition Reimbursement Program and Paid Volunteer Time
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution
- Tuition reimbursement Company match of charitable
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase
additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Discover more at takedajobs.com
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
Takeda is proud in its commitment to creating a diverse workforce
and providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and
applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion,
sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression,
parental status, national origin, age, disability, citizenship
status, genetic information or characteristics, marital status,
status as a Vietnam era veteran, special disabled veteran, or other
protected veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and
local laws, and any other characteristic protected by law.
Keywords: Takeda, Boston , Global Head of Research Strategy & Operations (RS&O), Other , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!