Animal Science Technician
Company: Kelly Services
Posted on: May 19, 2019
Animal Science Technician
The Animal Science Technician provides cagewash support, basic
husbandry, and health surveillance to laboratory animals.
Responsibilities also include performing equipment sanitation,
maintaining husbandry equipment records, and supporting the
facility teams in daily work as needed. All Research Animal
Specialists are required to work in a team environment following
Lean Management principles and participate in continuous
improvement projects. This position involves daily exposure to
laboratory animals, their waste products, and possibly chemical
agents, radioactive isotopes and ABSL2 hazards. Rotating weekend
and holiday work hours are required.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Indicate key areas of
responsibility, major job duties, special projects and key
objectives for the position.)
The Following Duties are performed daily with minimal
- Performs Facility Cage Wash Operations.
- Operate and maintain automated cage wash equipment and
sterilizers to sanitize primary animal holding cages, support
equipment, and general access areas.
- Assemble caging.
- Prepare acidified water bottles using an automated bottle
- Receive, transport, process, store facility supplies, animal
feed, bedding, and enrichment
- Provides Facility Maintenance and Sanitation.
- Maintain animal rooms so that secondary enclosure is free of
infectious agents and other contaminates by following the
sanitation monitoring program standard operating procedures
- Perform sanitation and semi-annual maintenance of ventilate
- Maintain filters of ventilate blowers as described in the
- Report facility and environmental issues that fall outside
animal welfare regulatory requirements (as defined in the Guide for
the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals).
- Provides Animal Husbandry Tasks.
- Serve as a member of a research animal care team, which is
responsible for daily animal husbandry and welfare checks in the
- Perform daily work involving the handling of genetically
engineered animal models, animals with immuno-compromised health
status, and animals recovering from surgery or other invasive
- Assemble caging supplies with proper handling to ensure
sterility level of equipment, feed and water.
- Perform daily animal pen/caging sanitation or changing.
Following aseptic technique, ensuring animals are not contaminated
when outside primary enclosure.
- Provide compliance monitoring of cage conditions. (Overcrowded
cage management, spot changing of dirty cages, etc.).
- Track progress of neonates, notification of team members & PI
staff, and weaning of cages per SOPs.
- Ensure animals are provided with food and water daily.
- Record critical facility data/documentation on a daily basis
required by local, state and federal regulatory agencies.
- Perform routine euthanasia on laboratory animals according to
the American Veterinary Medical Association's (AVMA) Panel on
- Provides Animal Health Monitoring
- Evaluate animal's health each day and report abnormal clinical
signs to the team lead and veterinary staff per SOP.
- Provide follow-up notification and treatment of common health
concerns prescribed by the veterinary staff per SOP.
- Reports progress of therapies to the team, veterinary staff,
and PI staff via health card notifications and email.
- Performs Facility Support Functions.
- Use current technology including tablets and bar code
application to record daily cage census.
- Comply with policies and SOPs.
- Provide facility support functions as assigned. (bioware
trouble shooter, van driver, etc.)
- Works within a Team Environment following Lean Management
- Utilize lean management tools in conjunction with the Team Lead
and other teammates, such as value stream mapping and 5S, in order
to problem solve and continuously improve operations.
- Attend team meetings and training sessions on all aspects of
laboratory animal care and uses of animals in biomedical research
The Following Duties may be performed daily under supervision from
the Team Lead or Manager:
- Perform husbandry and health monitoring of animals in ABSL2
- Assist the Team Lead or designee with housing incoming
- Perform husbandry and health monitoring of USDA covered
species, updating Individual Animal Records when required.
- Ordering and receiving facility supplies, monitoring material
- Assist in the creation, validation and maintenance of visual
controls within the facility.
- Work weekends and holidays, as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalency degree required
- Experience in care of animals preferred
SKILLS / ABILITIES / COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Proficient in verbal and written English and Mathematics
pertinent to the duties of this position and situations encountered
in the animal facility.
- Ability to lift and move 50 lbs on a regular basis
- Long periods of standing
- Has a customer-focused attitude and enjoys working with
similarly dedicated persons in a team fashion within a high-energy
- Ability to learn and use bar code/tablet technology and basic
computer skills including email and Microsoft Outlook.
- The animal facility has a variety of environmental conditions.
Specifically, employees may be exposed to noise, dust, chemicals,
extreme heat, and animal waste products. The duration of exposure
to any of the above is dependent on the assigned duties.
Appropriate protective clothing and equipment may be required and
will be provided, accompanied by appropriate training.
- This position may also expose the employee to animals treated
with chemical hazards, radioactive dyes and other induced
conditions as part of approved protocols.
- Employees are expected to conduct all work in a safe manner
that includes maintaining knowledge of animal handling techniques
consistent with the condition of the animal, protocol, regulations
and department policy, including radioactive treatments and bodily
With Kelly, you'll have access to some of the world's
highest-regarded scientific organizations-
providing you with opportunities to work on today's most
challenging, research-intensive, and relevant
projects. Our connections can lead you to innovative scientific
pursuits you'll be proud to help
advance. We work with 95 of the Fortune 100--- companies, and found
opportunities for more than 9,000
scientific professionals last year.You pursued a career in science
to fuel your quest for knowledge and your desire to make the
a better place. Let Kelly fuel your career-connect with us
As a workforce advocate for over 70 years, we are proud to directly
employ nearly 500,000 people around the world and have a role in
connecting thousands more with work through our global network of
talent suppliers and partners. Revenue in 2017 was $5.4 billion.
Visit kellyservices.com and connect
with us on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.Kelly Services is an
equal opportunity employer including, but not limited to,
Individuals with Disabilities, Protected Veterans, Sexual
Orientation, Gender Identity and is
committed to employing a diverse workforce. Equal Employment
is The Law.
Keywords: Kelly Services, Boston , Animal Science Technician, Professions , Charlestown, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!